Ruger M77 Tang Safety - Barreled Action

300winnie

I have a Ruger M77 old style (Tang Safety)barreled action. It is a magnum action with a Ruger factory barrel installed. It has been chambered to .30-.338 Winchester Magnum. It appears that the barrel that is installed must have started its life as a 30-06 as it is the standard 22" in length.

I am at a crossroads with it at this point. To keep it for myself I will need to get a stock and scope and do the appropriate bedding and load workup and see if it will shoot a decent group.

The other road I could take is to sell of the barreled action and figure out somewhere else to use the money.

What am I looking at value wise on an action like this?

Thanks

No stock? Most stocked tang safeties I have seen in Tucson run around $350 minimum. I'd guess maybe $300-325 tops without a stock.

You realize if it was a 30-06 first that someone opened up the bolt face to accomodate the magnum 30-338?

You can always get a McMillan stock for it. I am very fond of the hunter stock.

If it won't shoot there is a inexpensive alternative to a custom barrel replacement. Remington takeoffs are fairly common. The newer SPS type mag barrels are 26" long and not tapped for iron sights. Blued versions only cost $50 or so. The threads per inch is the same as the Ruger but the OD has to be reduced .100". I have had the following rem takeoffs set in Rugers: 30-338, 338 win mag, 375 taylor, 284 win and 7 rem mag. The gunsmith charges me around $115 to install. Cheap entertainment. Rem barrels shoot quite well.

fix it or dump it.... a classic decision whether it is firearms or vehicles.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts