Ruger American Rifle Go Wild with 30-06 Hornady Precision Hunter is it 1000 yards capable?

So you are looking for a trainer, shooting steel at 1k... it won't be a hunting rifle.

You are going to hate this, but hear me out.

You want something capable that you can shoot as cheaply as possible, which means you also need a selection of inexpensive factory ammo capable of 1k. You also need an inexpensive scope that dials accurately with dependable RTZ.

Ruger American or one of the Savages seem like a reasonable platform to start. But I would choose a 6.5 Creedmoor and an SWFA or Arken scope of your choosing. And I say that being personally creedmoor adverse.

Plain and simple, what you are asking for is NOT best achieved with a 30-06.

So you are looking for a trainer, shooting steel at 1k... it won't be a hunting rifle.

You are going to hate this, but hear me out.

You want something capable that you can shoot as cheaply as possible, which means you also need a selection of inexpensive factory ammo capable of 1k. You also need an inexpensive scope that dials accurately with dependable RTZ.

Ruger American or one of the Savages seem like a reasonable platform to start. But I would choose a 6.5 Creedmoor and an SWFA or Arken scope of your choosing. And I say that being personally creedmoor adverse.

Plain and simple, what you are asking for is NOT best achieved with a 30-06.
I dont hate what you said. I welcome it! Thank you! I already have a scope https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope+reticle-EBR-1~MOA
The reason I was asking about 30-06 is because its even cheaper than 6.5 creedmoor (I measured by prices of Hornady ELD-X hunter rounds) but much bigger round that CAN allow me hunting (if I decide to and get good enough) in the interim for like 400-500 yards. But if you are saying that I am wasting my time with 30-06 (because my goal 95% is training rifle) I'll switch my whole concept.

It's not that you couldn't get lucky with an 06 loving the factory ammo that you want it to. It's just less likely.

It's a numbers game. There is a lot more 1000yd capable 6.5CM factory ammo available, so the chances of finding a 1000yd capable factory ammo that your particular rifle likes is higher.

It's also lower recoil, which is better for training.

Also, there is no problem hunting deer at several hundred yards (maybe 600yd max range?) with a 6.5CM either.

Yes I was contemplating. Of course I cant compare with your seriousness. I bet you just got 338 Lapua Magnum and Barret MRAD and practice every day 100 rounds. But us the simple less serious people need to take other things into account because we cannot spend as much,
I have what I need, to do what I want. Save your money and buy one if that's what you want. Pretty simple really. Next week you will have a thread asking about a 1000 yard capable 22 mag. If you want practice buy a 6.5cm. It's cheap with lots of factory ammo options to practice that distance with as bad as I hate to say it.

Last edited: