Ruger 7mm Rem Mag 1000 yd capable?

yote yodeller

Hi, I'm shooting my .223 with factory loads out to 600 yds with easy 2" groups, With hand loads at 400 yds a 1" grouping. I'm quite happy with that. I know that guys are going out to 1000 yds with .223's as well but am just not convinced that it will put down a yote properly at a 1000 yds lol, paper is a different story.

I haven't used my 7mm for a while and am wanting to try my hand at longer ranges using it. It's very cold up north here (-40) and I have all winter to load and tweak my rifle so I'm starting to load for it using 168 gr Berger VLD's with a BC of .617 using IMR 4831 for powder. Any thoughts or ideas as to what to expect? Suggestions?

I've been reloading for a few yrs now and love what I can do with it! I am however new to LONG ranges (1000yds etc) and am looking for any advice from all you experienced pro's out there lol! Is my factory rifle and barrel with a 1:9.5 twist good enough for good groupings at 1000 yds? What's considered a good grouping at 1000 yds? Whats a good all round scope for this application? Currently have a 6-18x50 bushnell that seems to work good and a brunton wind meter. Should I get my stock bedded properly? I'm leaning towards a Vortex or Nightforce scope with a decent reticle and good turrets for dialing in wind and range but they are not cheap!!! Any suggestions for scopes similar to them that are a good quality scope but a little bit cheaper? What are the do's and dont's for long ranges? Lotsa questions I know lol, any advice is greatly appreciated guys!

I've killed coyotes out to 800yds with a .204 Ruger so your .223 could work if it's shooting as well as you say above. Wind can really tear up the small bullets performance at long range however.

The 7mm Mag will certainly get the job done that far out with ease. For me the 139 and 154gr interbonds shot exceedingly well for me in both the 7mag and 7STW.

the 7 mag works for me at 1000y . on the scope look at the sightron SIII SS 6x24-50 I just got one and its well worth the 650.00 tag on it .

Hi, I'm shooting my .223 with factory loads out to 600 yds with easy 2" groups, With hand loads at 400 yds a 1" grouping. I'm quite happy with that. I know that guys are going out to 1000 yds with .223's as well but am just not convinced that it will put down a yote properly at a 1000 yds lol, paper is a different story.

Hate to start out a first post this way, but here goes. I've shot 308's (open sight M-14) at 1000 yards and have a medal to show for it (Marine Corps Rifle Team). FYI, I'm a Distinguished Marksman and hold Scout/Sniper as a secondary MOS - just so you know I'm not BSing you. I'm going to assume that you could do the same thing with the 7mm mag. Matter of fact, my deer gun is a Ruger 7mm Mag. I like it a lot.

What brought me here was your statement about folks shooting .223's out to 1000 yards. I'm just gonna say this for what it's worth. First, I hope those guys have a lot of room for sight adjustments or they just know how to hold. I've shot .223's competitively to 600 yards and I can tell you first hand that key-holing (bullet tumbling) is a problem. I've watched fellow shooters try to zero in at 1000 yards with M-16's and they could not dial in enough elevation.

All "middle-range" guns can get on at 1000 yards. But, of course, the flatter you shoot the less weather, etc. problems you're gonna have.

Just sayin'.....

Thanks for having me!! :)

YOTE- MY son inlaw and son both shot a 15 shot groups you could cover with sheet of notebook paper at 1000 yards with a factory sendero. another son in law won the match with a 7mm mag. winchester laredo. i would use h-4831 or h-1000 . you live where it is cold and these are extreme powders less affected by temp change. the 168 is an excellent bullet.

I never tried the VLD's in my 7mag (it's a ruger m77 tang safety). I did work up a load with the Berger 168gr Classic hunter though using H1000. the load work up was pretty easy compared to other conventional hunting bullets and you don't give up hardly anything in BC 0.309 vs. 0.314 you do get a bullet thats easier to work up a load and more tolerant of seating depth. Another bullet you might try also is Matrix 168gr VLD their made in British Columbia, I was very impressed with the accuracy I got out of them. They have a G7 BC of 0.311.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.