1000 yd scopes

brokenwing

I am having a 300wm built and would some advice on a scope.
I have been a life long user of leupold.
4.5 to 14? is that enough out 1000yds?
obj.40,50 or 56mm?
any help with this will gladly be used. Thanks
gun)

You should step up to the 6.5- 20 at least in the 30 mm LRT It has about 94 MOA of elevation. The only reason I would use less is if I was going to do a lot of shooting in timber. While you can work at 1K with 14X it is not ideal. However 6X in timber is really hard and will cause you grief on occasion.

Objective size depends a lot on you age being as night vision starts going away for most people around age 40 so then you will need larger objectives. I use the larger objectives.

For many a 14X is the perfect power on a hunting rifle. See the greybull precision and also Mark Thompson's long range setup. I've used them at 1000 yd targets and felt confident on putting one in the kill zone. However that being said I did choose a huskemaw to gain the 20X magnification. Its obviously just a personal taste for us all.:)

If you can afford one a Nightforce 5.5x22x50mm is a outstanding scope. The NPR-1 reticle and zero stop turrets are needed. Also take a look at the G7 available from Aaron Davidson. Still a Nightforce but a differnt spin.

Definitely more power than a 14x. Like the other posts, 6.5 - 20x would be better. I'm using a Zeiss 4.5-14 w/mil-dot on a custom 7 STW and it's tough over 700 yds when making precise shots. I can still hit with it at greater distances but would prefer more magnification.

I agree with most of the above that 20x is minimum. The 6.5-20x50 Zeiss conquest is a good scope for the $$. They are currently on sale at Dougs camerland for $729 which is a bargain......Rich

Zeiss makes great scope only problem is the 6.5-20 conquest only has 45 MOA of adjustment. I would look at a Leupold VX-III LRT in a 6.5-20 the 40mm scope has 90 MOA the 50mm has 94 MOA and the are great scopes.

I agree with most of the above and would add that there are a lot of other good values. You can find lots of discussion in the Optics Section of these forums.

It will likey come down to budget and you should get the best scope you can afford. You should also use a 20 MOA rail such as those made by EGW and others. As such, you'll have plenty of elevation adjustment for any of the scopes including the Zeis mentioned above and you'll still be near the center of your adjustment range at 1k.

Good luck!
Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.