rounds to take hunting

I would like to be able to say i only need and bring one, buuut i cant unfortunately. I usually have 3-5 in the gun and the other 15-17 in the pack.

I usually bring 40-60 on a travel hunt. When hunting, ten rounds total in the gun and my pocket, a box of 20 in my pack. On several trips I have filled my tag/s early and had occasion to pick up cull tags, coyote hunt, or just shoot rocks at ridculous distances......to kill an additional day or more.

when I get a gun together and it's to my liking enough that I am gonna use it on a hunt I get at least 100 pieces of brass for it. if I am going anywere that is not right by home I take it all. stuff happens and I don't do well having to go without.
gun)

I appreciate the info. I have been somewhat ammo starved over the past 30 years while hunting. Not that I didn't have "something", just that I have always used Nosler Partitions and never had a really good supply due to cost. So, a few Partitons and the backup was something used for practice.

Now I have found Shooters Pro Shop and been able to stock up on a couple hundred of each caliber and weight (224/60, 243/100, 25/120, 270/150 and 308/180. I've dedicated R-P cases to nothing but the Nosler Partitions. Luckily I've been able to acquire from 500-1,500 of brass for each caliber. That allows me to load more. So, now the question came up, how many loaded rounds do I want on hand? I have had really good luck with 20 year old reloads so that wasn't a problem.

However, on one trip I had a water problem in the Jeep and all of the ammo ended up under water. It worked for the hunt but a week later they wouldn't fire. So, lost all of it. So, the decision of "take them along and risk a problem" or "not take them and run out for some obscure reason".

I will be developing the load around the Partitions and R-P cases as I can buy the Partitions at the same price as standard bullets. No reason to develop with anything else now. That makes a real good situation. The question comes down to, "How many to load and take along."

I think I will get the load developed, then load 100 to take along. That way I will know that I have enough. Of course there is the back up rifle (30-06/180 primary for elk and 270/150 for backup). Now we are up to 200 rounds. Hope I don't think I need a backup of the backup. That would fall to the 26-06. And another 100 rounds.

I usually take 5 plus one extra because I ran out one day and still had one more possible shot.

I do wipe the tips clean though since I don't want them to die of lead poison. :D

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.