What round to use for hunting mountain lion?

For years I have always wanted a Henry Golden Boy/Big Boy in .44 Mag. If I dont go the AR route, I am thinking one of these maybe? Kinda feels like stepping back into a old western movie where the menacing Cougar is ready to pounce on the cowboys horse and he saves the day with his trusty lever action. Kinda feeling like Ralphie right now LMAO.

I like it!

I left out rule #1 for a "chasing the hounds" firearm, if it don't make the tree, it ain't worth ^%%$#! Keep the weight down where you can. Good Luck.

Put it just below center mass about 2 or 3", right in the crease tight behind the front shoulder.

Jeff
Yes, and x2 on the .22's. .22hornet or magnum would be much choice with a 60-75gr soft point.

Shooting anything bigger and you run a big risk of ruining the pelt as they are pretty thin skinned.

Even shooting them at long range I'd want a bullet that isn't going to expand much especially in any high velocity cambering.

SAKO,
I just picked up a Henry carbine in 44mag (16 1/2 bbl). I know I'm gonna get heat for this one but I put a Burris Fast Fire III on it. Fast and accurate for short shots. My aging eyes don't pick up iron sights like they used to.

That is exactly the one I am looking at is the Carbine model. Smaller and lighter weight. Why would you catch hell? For putting a scope on it? It is your gun, you do what you want and to hell with what they think. I will scope mine as well. I could not see the sites worth a darn when I looked at one in the store the other day.

BTW, I didnt draw, but that don't meen I cant start getting ready!!

I like the idea of the the Henry I'm looking at it in 357. And the 44 will work great on cats. Heck my mom shot a cat for her first hunt that was 9'6" long massive cat with my grandfathers ww2 service 30 carbine. Cat just fell. Oh and I think the fast fire is a great idea

I recently purchased a cheap savage bolt action that was a really good deal. It's chambered 6mm ARC and dedicated to mountain lion hunting (and maybe a bit of range time). I'll be handloading. Any recommendations for the best bullet to preserve the pelt - I won't be using dogs, just shooting over an e-call. I'm guessing 90% of the time shots will be within 50-75 yards but on the rare occasion I may try to go out 200+ yards from the e-call.