Peripheral Equipment you take hunting?

Hang it on a limb for wind direction and speed.

I don't get why everyone is giving this guy their laundry list when it is very clear in his original post that he is looking for peripheral SHOOTING equipment, not your knives, not your backpack, not your toilet paper.....etc.

I don't use toilet paper. I use a leaf.:D

Little funny story about 'perhiperal equipment'...

Back when I was an Eagle Scout in the mid 60's, I used to do a lot of backpacking in the eastern United States, back then there wasn't the number of people there are today and backpacking was really reserved for nature prople. I never carried a gun or bow, a hunting knife was the only 'weapon' at my disposal... and my ultra light spin cast outfit, caught some wonderful trout back then....

Anyway, I'm out in the boonies trekking and I had to go really bad and looked in my pack and realized I was out of TP. I was in a pine forest so leaves weren't an option. Improvising, I used my FTL's to wipe with and being frugal, I hung them in a tree about 6 feet off the ground.

A couple years later I happent to retrace my route and low and behold, there were FTL's, janging right where I left them, washed and bleached by Mother Nature. I took 'em down and put them in my pack.

Still have the backpack btw, A aluminum rigid framed Kelty Expedition pack. Don't have the FTL's anymore.

Those ere the days, no cell phones, no water purification stuff, slept in an old Eureka Timberline tent and cooked on a real fire.

Little funny story about 'perhiperal equipment'...

Back when I was an Eagle Scout in the mid 60's, I used to do a lot of backpacking in the eastern United States, back then there wasn't the number of people there are today and backpacking was really reserved for nature prople. I never carried a gun or bow, a hunting knife was the only 'weapon' at my disposal... and my ultra light spin cast outfit, caught some wonderful trout back then....

Anyway, I'm out in the boonies trekking and I had to go really bad and looked in my pack and realized I was out of TP. I was in a pine forest so leaves weren't an option. Improvising, I used my FTL's to wipe with and being frugal, I hung them in a tree about 6 feet off the ground.

A couple years later I happent to retrace my route and low and behold, there were FTL's, janging right where I left them, washed and bleached by Mother Nature. I took 'em down and put them in my pack.

Still have the backpack btw, A aluminum rigid framed Kelty Expedition pack. Don't have the FTL's anymore.

Those ere the days, no cell phones, no water purification stuff, slept in an old Eureka Timberline tent and cooked on a real fire.

Nice story. Had the Timberline. Had the Kelty. I'll bite - what are FTL's? :D

Nice story. Had the Timberline. Had the Kelty. I'll bite - what are FTL's? :D

Fruit of the Looms....:D

I still use my Kelty Expedition pack ocassionally. I think the Timberline was consumed by moths. I also still have my candle lantern and Primus expedition stove and my trusty compass. I still reconoiter with a compass and paper maps, but then I'm old....

Got real dark out there in the woods at night.

I do miss those younger days. Life was so much simpler then.

Now we have all this electronic gadgetry with 'lowest bidder' components.

Range finder
Bipod
Rear support
wind meter

AGREED but use a Kestrel 4500 with a BC program for the "wind meter" I have the Horus my friend has the Applied Ballistics and they both work and cost about the same.

I also recommend to get a Magneto Speed to get your loads tight and a very accurate velocity reading.

Good luck

There we go with the expensive crap again. Been using my 'rabbit ears' chronograph for at least 10 years now with no issues.

Sometimes older is just as good as and most likely less expensive too.

There we go with the expensive crap again. Been using my 'rabbit ears' chronograph for at least 10 years now with no issues.

Sometimes older is just as good as and most likely less expensive too.

LOL.... I had so many problems with my Chrony. Sent it back to have it recalibrated but didn't help much. If light wasn't just right it would give no or bad readings. Maybe I just got a "bad" one?

Magneto Speed is so accurate. I can find an optimum load aka the most efficient load while looking at ES and SD and grouping.

SidecarFlip- you must be a little more.... "mature" than me? The way you stated "expensive crap" LOL.... NO disrespect to old school. m LOL....

New Magneto Speeds are less than $200

I suspect I'm probably old enough to be your dad. I have no issues with my chronometer at all.

Lets just say I was hunting before all the high tech stuff became mainstream and had no issue culling animals.

I don't need or want a magneto speed that clamps on the end of my muzzle, never have. Now, if someone gave me one, I wouldn't refuse, but buy, no way.

I like fancy high buck rifles (and pistols) and I can afford them and buy them when I want to but my old trusty Marlin lever gun with iron sights still brings home the meat....

Like hunting clothes. I sure like Kuiu but would I buy it, probably not. I just happened to win 3 grand worth of Kuiu clothing so I outfitted myself with the best.

I'm not ashamed at all. I like sporting high buck stuff, especially if it don't cost me anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.