Room to improve stock design?

rifletuner

Guys

I posted this on another forum, but have not had any response as yet. I am hoping members here will have more definitive ideas on what they like/don't like about current rifle stocks on the market.

I am working on a couple of stock designs that I may offer commercially in the future. I will go into a bit more detail on the actual stocks when I have the design more nailed down.

However I am keen to get feedback on what to include/exclude on the design. Right now, I am thinking along the lines of 2 different models, one somewhat along the lines of an A-5, and another somewhat along the lines of a HTG (but I am thinking it will have a little higher Monte Carlo). These will be manufactured along the lines of a McMillan/Manners stock, not a metallic chassis system.

I am interested to hear what forum members might have on their wish list. For example, I quite like the A-3, but would like it to have a fore-end more along the lines of the Manners MCS stock family, as the beavertail on these works better for me. Not intending to promote a product here, just in the very early research phase.

I'm quite fussy about my stocks.

I have 2 A5s and they come only close to my personal criteria.

First I don't like the rough dimpling on the A5 at all! Prefer smooth.

The comb is too low for a 56 mm objective scope. Fine for 1" scope with low/medium height rings.

Palm swell are marginal or nonexistent. Prefer a "hand full" as far as palm swells go. And on both sides. Who knows when an offside shot opportunity will present its self? Way quicker to simply shift sides than break position.

Prefer a falt squared up forearm. McMillans are plenty wide and are shaped very weil. I just prefer a more square shape.

Thumbhole of appropriate design is a significant enhancement over the very good A5 pistol grip design. A properly designed thumbhole with significant palm swell is quite sweet.

For 30" and longer barrels all currently h stocks are about 3" short. Though this would appear to be a cosmetic considerate, the longer the distance between shooter's shoulder and bipod the better.

A stock should weigh no more than 2 pounds or so.

I made a prototype that fits my bill nearly perfectly. However being build around a Bell and Carlson cheapie stock there is too much cracking from the use of too much JB Weld, Steel Puddy, Epoxy, Bondo and Pine Wood the shape is right and she shoots good but is too full of cracks to be presentable.

However as a pattern she's right where I want her.

Hi Roy

Thanks for the comment. If you get a chance, please post photos of your dream stock modifications. Don't worry about the cosmetics we want function over form here (well I do :)).

What do you consider a "thumbhole of appropriate design"? And what would be an acceptable palm swell?

I (think!) I agree with your comments about length of the forend. I should be able to add at least 2" within the weight constraints.

When you mention a squared off forend, are you talking something along the lines of an Accuracy International chassis?

Please keep the comments coming.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts