Guidance to improve weatherby vanguard

teampete

Hey all this is my first time posting and what an awesome website. I am getitng very addicted to long range shooting after this past year of hunting. I statred out wanting a rifle that could shoot 600 yards and I built a cheap set up. I bought a weatherby vanguard in 7mm rem mag. I lowerd the trigger pull as low as possible according to the manual (hope i did it correctly). Added a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 with BDC reticle. I ssighted in with 175 rem core lokt bullets and harvested a nice 300 inch bull this year. The shot was 483 yards! I am very proud but now I want to advance my rifle to shoot 1000 yards. What can I do to make my vanguard more accurate? Adding a timney triger or floating the barrel? Also should I look at a better scope. I have seen these scopes with adjustmetns up top that allow you to dial in to the exact yardage. I am really interested in those but dont know much about them. I do not load so should i switch to a better bullets like Hornaday? Any recomendations are apreciated. I am very new to this and am just looking for some guideance and realize this site has some smart people.

Thanks,
Dennis

I don't think your going to find many factory loaded rounds for that kind of accuracy at that distance,. if you do it will be from Corbon, HSW, Blackhills, or Double Tap and they will be 160grn accubonds, 162grn a-maxs, or 168 grn bergers. Polish the firing pin and get a highewr power spring or get an entire speedlock setup to reduce lock time, put it in a Bell and Carlson stock, even just being on pillars will help, get a rifle basix or the like trigger and set it 18-20 ozs, lastly vangaurds shoot well to have a horrible crown so find a gun smith to put a good fresh recessed or preferably target crown on it. Don't aim for the stars, if you do you will be disappointed, I don't ever see it shooting any single digit groups at 1000yrds but that will get you started.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.