Best stock design for field use

Brambles

Hi there everyone

SO I'm getting my new rifle built and I am considering reusing the Hi-Tech specialties Synthetic

Tan stock in the picture is the one, weights in at 26 ounces

IMG_1010-1.jpg

Problem is with the 28" Sendero contour barrel plus the Holland brake I'm leary that the rifle is gonna be terribly muzzle heavy.

So I've been looking at different stock designs in case this stock isn't gonna work.

My main question is, for field shooting prone position using a bipod or backpack for a rest, and either shooting up hill, straight across or shooting down hill, what style stock is the most versitile the vertical grip style stocks like the A3 or a sporter style stock like the one I have. Although I have been shooting for over 20 years I have never used a tactical/vertical gripped rifle before for anything but offhand 200 yard gong shooting.

I do my own stock work so I have been toying with the idea of cutting off the recoil pad and adding a heavy epoxy ballast inside the buttstock to balance the rifle. But I'd like to hear from you guys

Thanks

Brambles

You are correct, it will be muzzle heavy. I have a 28" barrel that is a notch heavier than the sendero, and it feels just right with a wood laminate. I believe it is a Boyd's. The weight of the wood makes it balance correctly for the weight of the barrel. It is heavy, but it should be. If you want a light rig, you cannot go with a barrel such as you describe. You will either have to use a slimmer contour or go shorter, especially with a brake. For my tastes, the A3 would be the one I would go to. In fact, I hope to put one on this year. I like the vertical grip, the taper to the forend, and no "butt-hook". I don't believe it will be too bulky overall. I think you would be happy with something on the order of the A3.

If you hand carry the rifle for any length of time it has to be balanced. A barrel heavy rifle is difficult to shoot from almost any position when there is no rest. The rifle may end up a little heavier with a beefier stock but if balanced you will be much happier with the way it "feels". Look at McMillan's ADJ-HTG.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.