Rockchuck Hunting In the Big Horn Moutains of Wyoming

drags

Can anyone give me any information on hunting rockchucks in the Big Horn Mountains of Wyoming. What is a good time of year to hunt them, can I expect to see many and do I need a license.
Drags

Uhh I'm not sure there are rockchucks here. Prairie dogs yes, rockchucks not so much. No license needed in WY or Montana. MT does require a state land permit if you shoot on state land. Costs 10 bucks. There is no season so you can shoot all year if you can or want to. But when the snow is falling it is harder to get them out of their holes...

They don't come out till late spring. May- June is about when the pups come out. The population has went down a little in the past 5 years. {in my opinion} Find some rocks and look on the very top. In the spring they run will around in the grass. Some long distance shooting is across canyons is available but not needed. Just a ground hog up in the rocks.
No license needed for pdogs or chucks. Find a good spot and glass.
If you want to shoot a lot of rounds, I would go for p-dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.