Rl 17 in 6.5 creedmoor

So with as dumb as this sounds has anyone tried putting ammo in there fridge and transporting it to the range in a cooler to keep it cool and loading 1 at a time to get things dialed in? I'm planning on using this for a hunt this fall is my reason for thinking. As it sits it's still capable of hunting with but am curious if that would tighten groups back up and simulate the fall season.

Yeah, folks do it all the time. Place ammo in cooler with ice, bring to range and dispense when ready to shoot.

I'm my opinion you are just asking for trouble by trying to "cool"'your ammo in the freezer.
I would look for IMR 4451, H4350, or similar and develop a new load.
There are several other powders that will work, but those are the "mainstream" powders. Don't over look Varget, IMR 4064, or even IMR 7828.

RL-16 is close to 17, but temp stable and also has a de-coppering agent. I'm also getting almost 100fps more with 140's and RL-16 over RL-17, and 17 gave me more speed than either H4350 or IMR4451. Kinda looking like it might be THE powder for the Creedmoor with 140 grain bullets.

RL-16 is close to 17, but temp stable and also has a de-coppering agent. I'm also getting almost 100fps more with 140's and RL-16 over RL-17, and 17 gave me more speed than either H4350 or IMR4451. Kinda looking like it might be THE powder for the Creedmoor with 140 grain bullets.

That's interesting, what's your mv and sd with rl16?

Hodgins and imr enduron powders are temp insensitive. The other imr powders will react to temperature. I believe there is a new enduron powder that should work well in the creedmoor
I tried the enduron 4451 which should be very close to 4350 with very bad results. SD was close to 40. Group size was around 1"-1.3"
I´m using 43gr of RL-17 and CCI200 with 143 ELD-x bullets performing great. Winter MV is around 2940fps and now in the summer around the 100º mark it goes up to 2985FPS

I hate to give you my speeds because I know I'm a bit hot. I'm running Nosler 140 RDF's at 2919, and that's been verified by more than one chrono with single didgit SD's. The best I was able to get with RL-17 was right at 2800. I show no pressure signs, yet by the speed alone, I know I'm a bit hot. I'm planning on backing it off to about 2850. It's been accurate though so it's hard to give this load up!

I hate to give you my speeds because I know I'm a bit hot. I'm running Nosler 140 RDF's at 2919, and that's been verified by more than one chrono with single didgit SD's. The best I was able to get with RL-17 was right at 2800. I show no pressure signs, yet by the speed alone, I know I'm a bit hot. I'm planning on backing it off to about 2850. It's been accurate though so it's hard to give this load up!

Try some rl-26..... you can keep those speeds and not be over pressure. I ran as high as 3014 fps but my best load was 2945 fps. 3014 still shot .3s but it just makes me nervous

I tried the enduron 4451 which should be very close to 4350 with very bad results. SD was close to 40. Group size was around 1"-1.3"
I´m using 43gr of RL-17 and CCI200 with 143 ELD-x bullets performing great. Winter MV is around 2940fps and now in the summer around the 100º mark it goes up to 2985FPS

I had a similar experience with imr 7977 in my 300, sd was 35. Switched to 7828 and at the same velocity it ran with an sd of 5. Couldn't find any h1000 at that time.
Rl17 sounds interesting

RL16 will be the go to 6.5 creedmoor powder once people try it and stores stock it. My local Cabelas has it in stock but our Sportsmans Warehouse does not.
Ramshot Hunter works very well in the 6.5 Creedmoor but I don't know if it will have the same issue of FPS fluctuation from winter to summer. If you can't find H4350 (I haven't seen any in over a year) then:
Hunter
RL16
IMR 4451
H4831SC

Try RL 16 as it is a replacement for the 17 but it's Temp Stable.. I tried the 17 a couple years ago and it shot Great and Super fast,, But after posting pic of my Load work up and guys telling me how Temp Sensitive the 17 was I got up very next morning and shot another 5 shot group which was also Sub .5 but my speed had went from 2948 average in High 90s to next morning in low 70s to 2876. Both groups were sub .5 but speeds were way different. I have talk with others that wasn't as big of difference but still more then really wanted. That's one reason the RL16 was release as it is almost as fast as the 17 but it's a Temp Stable powder.

I've used superformance and seen great results, cover 4 shots with a nickel @100yds. I'm using Sierra GK SBT 140g and 46.2g of powder. But I would like to know if it's temp sensitive?...

To add to my post above I'm at 4000' elevation getting 2800 fps with an SD of about 15'. This is all through a 6.5 creedmoor ruger American predator 22" barrel with a break. I'm not a huge fan of the break.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.