300 WSM, 165g Accubond, RL-17

Power

So that's what I'm trying to work up, was using IMR 4381 but read that Reloader 17 is better for 300 WSM.

Only one trip to the range so far but 66g of powder worked pretty well, sub-moa at 200 yards. Norma brass, Fed 215 primers.

I don't have much time before hunting Oct. 11 so looking for suggestions. Longest OAL I can load is 2.940 due to the magazine limitations but my throat is around 2.990 so I can't get within .010-.020 and still use the magazine. Currently trying around 2.925 and that worked for the load above.

Always trying to do better so asking the experts here for other variations to try. Will use this load and work from it, both increasing powder up to max of 68g (also shoots around MOA with same load so might try 68.5g and watch for pressure signs though 68 was having some sticky bolt so that might be max).

Would it be dangerous to try 2.900 oal or shorter? I know I don't want to be on the lands but wonder if longer jump might work? Rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight.

Thanks all.

So that's what I'm trying to work up, was using IMR 4381 but read that Reloader 17 is better for 300 WSM.

Only one trip to the range so far but 66g of powder worked pretty well, sub-moa at 200 yards. Norma brass, Fed 215 primers.

I don't have much time before hunting Oct. 11 so looking for suggestions. Longest OAL I can load is 2.940 due to the magazine limitations but my throat is around 2.990 so I can't get within .010-.020 and still use the magazine. Currently trying around 2.925 and that worked for the load above.

Always trying to do better so asking the experts here for other variations to try. Will use this load and work from it, both increasing powder up to max of 68g (also shoots around MOA with same load so might try 68.5g and watch for pressure signs though 68 was having some sticky bolt so that might be max).

Would it be dangerous to try 2.900 oal or shorter? I know I don't want to be on the lands but wonder if longer jump might work? Rifle is a Sako 85 Finnlight.

Thanks all.

I wouldn't push past 68 grains. Many guys run around 67.5 with similar loads. For seating depth, you can jump further. Most factory rounds are 2.860 or shorter to fit in factory mags. Also, you don't need to be .010 -.020 off the lands to get an accurate load. Nosler recommends starting at .030 off with Accubonds. I've found success at around +/- .005 of .050 and .080 off the lands with a few rifles and Accubonds. Start at mag length and seat deeper in .020 increments. Once you find a depth that looks decent, many times this manifests itself as a triangle group with two shots close together with one flier opening the group a bit. To remedy this, try seating .005 on each side of that load to try to tighten it up a little. Once you get your seating depth pegged, you can adjust your powder up or down .2-.3 to try tightening it up further.

I used to have a factory 300 WSM that liked 66.3 grains of rl17 at 2.860 with a 168 E-tip at 3200 fps. Another one ran 67.5 grains with the same bullet.

In my current 300 WSM with a custom barreled Saami chamber, I run 200 grain ABs at .045 off the lands with 62.8 grains of RL17 and a 210M right at 3000 fps.

Last edited:
I have run Reloader 17 in a couple of 300 WSM and found it was better for me than the IMR4831. However, with that said I have found it to be sensitive to temp variances. Not much but some.

That is good news. There is hope then. Thank you very much for the replies, I'll follow your recommendations and see how it works.

COL can have a big impact on your accuracy. You don't mention what bullet you are using. Berger VLD's don't like a big jump, but their Classic Hunter is designed to work well in most magazines. As mentioned above, Nosler AB is more tolerant of being seated off the lands.

For me, I ignore the magazine and load to the best length for accuracy. A single, well-placed shot rarely requires a follow up. Besides, it isn't much slower to hand load a second round than it is to load one from the magazine. When shooting at distance, you always have the time.

Here's my results trying 3 different powders, shooting Norma brass, Fed 215M primers, Nosler 165g Accubond bullet.

1. R-17 - No combination of powder charge and OAL seemed to work well.

2. H380 - Again, no combination I tried could produce a good group. Plus the fine powder is more difficult to work with, slight breeze from breathing too heavy and powder is blown around.

3. IMR 4350 - BINGO! 66g of this powder and OAL 2.930" has me shooting under 2" groups at 200 yards and one group around 1" at 200 yards. Looks very promising and will hunt with this load starting Saturday.

I'm reading good things from the forums here that H4350 is better so will try that next and see how it works. Too bad you can't buy powder in 2oz bottles to try it.

Any suggestions on more accurate primers?

i would use WLRM primers and varget. what are you shooting at? good luck hunting. roninflag

Hunting mule deer and elk with this load. Shots out past 300 are common, especially for elk so need it to be accurate.

H4831 is a bit slow for the lighter bullets. Most 1000 yard benchrest guys are using H4350 with 210 VLD or 210 BT Bergers. They use 10 or 11 twist. I like Bergers for the accuracy and the BC. They also kill good. I use the VLD hunting bullets. Matt

Thanks guys. I may try a can of H4350 for kicks but since I'm not hunting too extreme weather (coldest is around 20°F up to around 60°F) the IMR might be just fine.

Good luck everyone, I start Saturday so hopefully a big ol' muley buck walks out and I can drop him with my oldest daughter there to watch!

I'll give the 210s a try. Bought a gross of them the other day by mistake but since I have them might as well try them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.