Ring and base advice

MOOSE HUNT GIVEAWAY

Gunwerks, KUIU, Vortex Optics, Really Right Stuff, and TrophyProfile have teamed up with Greg McHale's Wild Yukon to give away a Moose hunt in the Yukon with Yukon Stone Outfitters. The winner will receive a guided and filmed moose hunt with Yukon Stone Outfitters in September 2023, along with a full KUIU gear package, a custom Gunwerks Rifle system, a Vortex Optics package, and a hunting tripod setup from Really Right Stuff.
Enter now! The giveaway closes on July 27, 2022.

Use this link to enter:
just entered, thank you!

Just wondering - have you ever experienced a scope failure while hunting that required removing it and using a backup sight? I've been hunting with scopes for 60 years, and never had that happen to me. Have I just been lucky?

One bad fall, and you can damage even the best of scopes. That said…..at my age, the scope may be the least of my worries! 😉

Just for the record……I also have iron sights, if I have a scope failure in the field and the back-up is back at camp! However, the irons aren't as "user friendly" as they were many years ago! 😁 memtb

I have the same rifle but with a carbon barrel. I I put the leupold 4-14x44 on it. I used the Talley one piece ring/bases and have been very happy with the results. I think I used the medium height but I can check for sure if you would want.

Same here. I don't like quick detach mounts. But I don't go on $40k once in a lifetime hunts either.

"Knock on wood"……I haven't had a scope shift with a rifle that has just shy of 60 ft/lbs. felt recoil!

CORRECTION…..other than when I rolled a 4-wheeler down a steep mountainside! The rifle and scope survived with only a re-zero required! However, the 6 month old Honda 4 Wheeler did not…..it was totaled! Thankfully the 4 wheeler and the rifle parted company before the 4 wheeler reached the end of it's 200 + yard roll down a very steep grade! memtb

Here's some nice rings with built in level.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-122028_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220726-122028_Chrome.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 19
I happen to like the Leupold Dual Dove Tail Rings and Bases. made of steel, and very stable and secure. Sorry but they are not very sexy or tactical looking. I use them on my Weatherby Mark V in .270 Weatherby Mag with my Leupold VX 3 in 8.5X to 25X Windplex, with a 30 mm main tube and a 50mm Objective lens. I used this set up at the Bang Steel Shooting School, in Virginia, where I hit targets from 500 to 1200 yards, over the two days of shooting. Incredible fun hearing the steel go "Boing!!!" I think I fired over 80 rounds in those two days. The rings and bases remained tight, nothing moved, nothing came loose, and the scope had plenty of Elevation built in. No 20 MOA Rail was needed in this case. Here is a picture of the Dual Dove Tail Rings and Bases when the rifle had a Leupold 4.5X to 14 VX3 on it, then at the table where I shot the steel showing the Leupold Windplex 8.5X to 25 X scope. With an instructor calling the wind, this rifle hit targets at every range over and over. I will hunt Whitetail a bean field in N. Carolina this year with this rifle. It will remain in its wood stock, and I will wrap scope and rifle with Camo nonstick tape. Good Luck with your search for rings and bases.

Attachments

• IMG_2628 Bang Steel.jpg
    IMG_2628 Bang Steel.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2476 270 Weath Mag Leupold 4.5 to 14.jpg
    IMG_2476 270 Weath Mag Leupold 4.5 to 14.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
I have the same rifle but with a carbon barrel. I I put the leupold 4-14x44 on it. I used the Talley one piece ring/bases and have been very happy with the results. I think I used the medium height but I can check for sure if you would want.
I am good, I have the Medium height rings. Thanks Gills

Is there any disadvantage of going with 20 MOA rail, other then I am assuming it puts your overall scope height higher.
No, it does not put your scope higher. No disadvantage. Big advantage as it gives you an extra 20 moa of scope usage. Infact I will usually use a 1 piece 20 moa scope mount (rings) to have a total of 40 extra moa to use most of the scope elevation for extreme long range target shooting.

Take a look at Near Manufacturing. Many options and they are all top notch. If strictly for hunting, check out the Alpha Mount. I've switched all of my hunting rifles to them and I'm extremely happy with them. Very strong and on back country hunts where they take a beating, peace of mind is everything.

I personally use NEAR Mfg Alphamounts and picatinny rails on all my center fire rifles. Made in Alberta Canada. Supplying mounts to USA &Cdn police and military forces. In my opinion, in the same class as Spur mounts at a less expensive price point. A very high quality product.
US folks receive better then 25% discount based on Cdn to US dollar exchange.
Full disclosure, I purchase from and personally know the owner, Richard, who is a engineer and used to compete in the 1 mile competitions state side.

Attachments

• 20181225_150129~2.jpg
    20181225_150129~2.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 12
For my 6.5 CM competition rifle I chose a ONE PIECE LaRue mount because it is from a quality company the I knew would machine the ring bases with very close tolerances, thus needing no "ring lapping".

For my 6.5PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro I chose individual rings from Talley because they were the only ones I could find at that time to fit Browning's proprietary 4 hole per ring design. Still, laying trueing bars on the rings showed it to be very well aligned.

Any time I can use a high quality one-piece scope mount I will.

I happen to like the Leupold Dual Dove Tail Rings and Bases. made of steel, and very stable and secure. Sorry but they are not very sexy or tactical looking. I use them on my Weatherby Mark V in .270 Weatherby Mag with my Leupold VX 3 in 8.5X to 25X Windplex, with a 30 mm main tube and a 50mm Objective lens. I used this set up at the Bang Steel Shooting School, in Virginia, where I hit targets from 500 to 1200 yards, over the two days of shooting. Incredible fun hearing the steel go "Boing!!!" I think I fired over 80 rounds in those two days. The rings and bases remained tight, nothing moved, nothing came loose, and the scope had plenty of Elevation built in. No 20 MOA Rail was needed in this case. Here is a picture of the Dual Dove Tail Rings and Bases when the rifle had a Leupold 4.5X to 14 VX3 on it, then at the table where I shot the steel showing the Leupold Windplex 8.5X to 25 X scope. With an instructor calling the wind, this rifle hit targets at every range over and over. I will hunt Whitetail a bean field in N. Carolina this year with this rifle. It will remain in its wood stock, and I will wrap scope and rifle with Camo nonstick tape. Good Luck with your search for rings and bases.