Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
I just rebushed and boored a set of Carrilo Rods for a race engine. Nice workmanship btw.

I don't fool with motors as a rule for customers. This guy is a good friend so I did it.

You fought the throttle because the return springs were too heavy. It's an easy fix to install a grubscrew in the housing to negate the spring. Thats all HD does. I do that with all my bikes except the inline 3. It has electronic digital cruise.

Back pressure versus valve overlap versus power curves is nothing more than some extrapolation of pertinent numbers and IMO, has little do do with sound (noise) attenuation on a street bike. Besides, I don't like listening to it and neither do a lot of people, reason why most police departments have DB meters and a standardized test procedure for determining unacceptable noise levels.

The coined phase of 'Loud pipes save lives' is pure BS. The only thing loud pipes do is cause your wallet to shrink today and I have no issue with that.

My Bonnie, because it's primarily a show bike and not a daily driver has, full custom mandrel bent sttainless head pipes with straight through Triumph muffflers and the headpipe length is tuned for pressure wave attenuation to allow a stagnant exhaust pulse to retain the next charge during overlap. It's stupid loud but again, it's for show. My other biles including the Norton have quiet (less than 95DB at 15 feet) exhaust systems.

I'm all about acceptable noise levels. If suppressors were legal in this state, every one of my rifles would have a threaded barrel for a suppressor. They aren't.....

I just rebushed and boored a set of Carrilo Rods for a race engine. Nice workmanship btw.

I don't fool with motors as a rule for customers. This guy is a good friend so I did it.

You fought the throttle because the return springs were too heavy. It's an easy fix to install a grubscrew in the housing to negate the spring. Thats all HD does. I do that with all my bikes except the inline 3. It has electronic digital cruise.

Back pressure versus valve overlap versus power curves is nothing more than some extrapolation of pertinent numbers and IMO, has little do do with sound (noise) attenuation on a street bike. Besides, I don't like listening to it and neither do a lot of people, reason why most police departments have DB meters and a standardized test procedure for determining unacceptable noise levels.

The coined phase of 'Loud pipes save lives' is pure BS. The only thing loud pipes do is cause your wallet to shrink today and I have no issue with that.

My Bonnie, because it's primarily a show bike and not a daily driver has, full custom mandrel bent sttainless head pipes with straight through Triumph muffflers and the headpipe length is tuned for pressure wave attenuation to allow a stagnant exhaust pulse to retain the next charge during overlap. It's stupid loud but again, it's for show. My other biles including the Norton have quiet (less than 95DB at 15 feet) exhaust systems.

I'm all about acceptable noise levels. If suppressors were legal in this state, every one of my rifles would have a threaded barrel for a suppressor. They aren't.....

I had the highway cruise kit installed on the trottle before I left. The problem was that going down hill I was gaining a lot of speed and the cops were setting in the valleys. Going up hill I was loosing a lot of speed as well, so the cruise setting didn't work at all, unless I was on level ground. Now days they have a real cruise controll for bikes. The couple on the Harley just seemed to stay the same speed all the time. Yes he had to give it some gas from time to time, but nothing like I did. Kinda like having a sixty pound flywheel in a drag car. The light weight ones gain rpm fast, but often bog down during launch unless they can break traction. The heavy flywheel just pulls right thru it
gary

I've been reading this thread with great interest......finally coudn't resist jumping in. I've been a motorcycle nut since the 60's owning Triumph, BSA's, and a whole host of other bikes over the years. Still have a mostly original 59 FL Harley sitting in my barn. Spent most of my life touring with my wife around the country on HD FL's, but solo on old and new model Triumph twins. I finally found heaven with a Triumph 675 Street Triple. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it's everything I have looked for in a scratcher since I started riding. She's probably right, being over 60, don't know how much time I have left riding like this.:rolleyes:

New model Triumph's (since John Bloor bought the assets) have really come of age in technology and handling, not that the older pre Hinkley bikes didn't handle but the older bikes did have reliability issues. All the transverse 3's in sport bike trim are peg draggers if you have the stones. Me, I just like the sound of a triple.

I figured that a number of contributors to this forum had bikes, bikes, like hunting, allow you do be at one with yourself without interference or management from outside sources (except other motorists and that can always be an issue). I like the freedom myself. Nice summer day, jump on the scooter and go for a ride with no destination in mind. What can be better.

My Bonnie is the Centenial model, the first of the redesigned Bloor bikes.

I have 2 .com sites that I offer Triumph parts and consumables on (such as brake pads, clutch packs, spark plugs and bling) but out of courtesy to Len and forum rules, I don't discuss that on here. Besides, I don't want it to become more than just a hobby.

I've been reading this thread with great interest......finally coudn't resist jumping in. I've been a motorcycle nut since the 60's owning Triumph, BSA's, and a whole host of other bikes over the years. Still have a mostly original 59 FL Harley sitting in my barn. Spent most of my life touring with my wife around the country on HD FL's, but solo on old and new model Triumph twins. I finally found heaven with a Triumph 675 Street Triple. My wife thinks I'm nuts, but it's everything I have looked for in a scratcher since I started riding. She's probably right, being over 60, don't know how much time I have left riding like this.:rolleyes:

Arlan and Patty live down by Hanover College near the Ohio river in southern Indiana. The road down there was one of those twisty and turny roads that was a lot of fun to ride in a bike. We'd often ride down there, and then Arlan and Patty would follow us back up to Indy. Often we'd swap bikes as Patty was ill and it was easier on her to ride the Jap bike. I fell in love with that Bonneville with in the first ten miles. Later I find a brand new red and black one sitting in an old store front that was shuttered up. The guy that owned it used to be a dealer before, and wasn't wanting to sell it. That bike still had the show room tags on it. Not quite as pretty as a 1967 Bonneville, but built much better. The only bike I ever rode that hugged the rode better than that Bonneville was Mitch's Ducati. That thing was like glue!
gary

Triumph has had well over a century to get the frame geometry just right and modern rubber formulations help a lot. Back in the day, HD's ran car tires, ok for straight line but cornering was an issue. Car tires aren't meant to ride on the edge of the tread.

Bloor designed the new (Hinkley) Bonneville as a police motorcycle so everything is overbuilt and it don't leak either. The cases are horizontially split, unlike the vertical split early engines. The engine is a 749cc double overhead cam with shimmed valves and internal counterbalancer to eliminate the vibration associated with the pistons rising and falling at the same time and it's easy and inexpensive to bring the power and torque up. A cam change and some flowing nets serious power. Bloor also redisigned the lubrication system with a spin on filter in the belly and roller bearings on the crank ends. That allows less oil pressure (and leaks) and the oil pump is now a positive displacement vane type instead of the double plunger. Bloor wanted to retain the traditional look so he modernized the engine but kept the outside like the old 650's. At first glance the engine appears to be a 68 vintage. Even the pushrod tube is there...as an oil drain. All the bulges and bumps in the cases are there too and of course polished alloy. All in all, it's a nice to ride and easy to maintain bike. A bit small for my 6-2 frame but all Triumph's were built for a small stature.

The newest Bonnies have EFI. Kehin cleverly designed the EFI system to hide inside what appears to be conventional mixers. It's just a shell that hides the single point injectors.

With the crap gas we have, EFI is about mandatory. I have to clean my jugs every year despite adding Marine Stabil. My EFI bike never has an issue.

A few years back Kenny Dreer bought the Norton trademark and was going to build Norton's out west. I put a deposit on one but Kenny went tits up and so did my deposit.

We now have this thread so far off kilter, I'm thinking maybe I should start a motorcycle only thread...if Len would allow it.

I guess we could discuss hunting with an ADV bike. My buddy has a scabbard on his and uses his bike to get in and out of the woods.

Not my cup-o-tea either Gary. Just trying to be polite.....:)

I do own an ADV bike, it's my 'daily driver' back and forth to work. Single cylinder, water cooled lawnmower that gets 70 mpg. Has luggage and trunk for all my stuff and off road tires so riding in the rain is always an experience.

and..... it was cheap.:D

The year after Browning bought Winchester I bought a stainless 7mm mag with boss. Out of the box and to this day it stacks the in like no other gun I've had. It my sons now and it helps to wear ear protection

The year after Browning bought Winchester I bought a stainless 7mm mag with boss. Out of the box and to this day it stacks the in like no other gun I've had. It my sons now and it helps to wear ear protection

the "Boss syetem" is nothing but a low grade tuner. Works to change the barrel harmonics during bullet travel. I've seen a couple rifles with the Boss system shoot lights out, and have seen others that were similar to 00 buckshot. Tuners done right can take an also run barrel and make it shoot bug holes. I proved this in 22 rimfire competetion several years back with a Cooper rifle. Shot .170" groups at 50 yards with it (I didn't Tony did). Before it was shooting .30" + groups.
gary

At 200 yds with 165 gr boat tails you can stack them on top of one another. Only problem we are having with the gun is with the rounds ejecting every now and then

I have to put another one (kudo) in for Savage. I good friend just bought a Model 16 in 223 Remington and gave him half a box of OFMB LC, full prep (by me) and loaded with 60 grain Vmax bullets.

Observing the Savage recommended break in (something I alwys stress), at 100 yards (no long range yet) with a Leupy Rifleman on the mounts (Warne), he put the last 4 shots in the same hole with no modifications to the rifle whatsoever and rounds were built for my Ruger, not the Savage.

IMO, for out of the Box, economically priced rifles, Savage is **** hard to top.

I'm looking for at least 1/2MOA or better at 200 with built for loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.