Rifles bought but haven’t shot yet. What ya got!

I'm not above buying something and taking awhile to getting around to shooting. I guess that's what happens when your in the gun a month club!

I guess it's been two years back I ran across a deal. Cabelas had a Howa 300 Win mag that was supposed to have a flaw in the Bronze finish. I can't recall what I paid for it but even though I'm 30 cal mag poor I picked it up. I think they got mixed up, I can't find a thing wrong with the finish. It came with a black Hogue stock without a bedding block which aren't much count. Somebody on here had a Hogue in Gillie green with full length beading block like new for cheap. Hogue with a bedding block aren't half bad. Found a deal on a 30mm tube Vortex scope of some kind. Had Talley rings in drawer. Had my gunsmith buddy thats better with triggers than I am do a trigger job. It's got some kind of accu-trigger, first for me but my gunsmith buddy likes them. Once you take up the slack it breaks clean and light.

I put it in the safe and pretty much forgot it. Dug it out earlier today. Guess I better start working up loads for it. Along with the 280 and the 270 WSM I haven't shot either. Probably more if I looked.

What ya got you haven't shot yet. I bet I'm not the only one.
Well, currently don't own any in this category. Had a couple of Mossberg Silver Reserve 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, bought and never shot and sold them both, his and hers (first wife passed breast cancer). Typically rifles will not be shot until I can get some range time, if I am traveling for my business could be up to 12-18 months as rifle range time at my range is only available during hunter sight-in. It is mainly a pistol range. The outdoor rifle range is about 2 hours away. But usually shoot what I buy, things don't stay idle long if I can get to the range. Typically buy stuff for a purposeful hunt or competition. Due to my travel schedule and life in general a hunt may get put off and then that rifle/scope set up will sit idle. At some point I will re-zero and reschedule a hunt (or buy a tag). I used to only have one rifle an old Savage 110 300 win mag that I used for everything. But things change when you are no longer dealing with a sick wife and two kids in college.

I have had a couple of rifles that would not group with factory ammo, put them away until I had time to troubleshoot and adjust them or hand-load ammo for them.

I guess you could have a category of guns you haven't shot for a number of years. I have a few in this category. Will I use them in the future, yep.

Remjngton 788 in 30-30. Bought it in 1997 or 1998 and still have not fired it.

Smith and Wesson 629 in 38/357 with 8 1/4" barrel (I believe that's what it is). Bought it in 2001 from a friend and still have no fired it.

Remington 870 pump. Bought from co-worker in 2002 who won it in a curling bonspiel back in the 70's of all things. Still haven't fired it.

TCR 83 in 220 Swift. Bought shells for it 5 years ago but still haven't fired it. Have a 17-KHornet barrel but that doesn't count as I still need to get dies and reload for it.

Browning A-Bolt 22 Magnum. Went to shoot it and firing pin wouldn't hit rim hard enough or deep enough to fire shells. Had to send it back to Browning who supposedly fixed it but I have never fired it yet and that was 1994 or 1995. So not sure that counts.

Browning semi auto 22 take down. Keep forgetting its sitting a shelf under some books in the box. Owned it 8 years I think.

Will add one weird one. In 2014 we t deer hunting and on way (buddy and I weren't trying to hard. Passed up on a deer at 60 yards from the truck even. Literally scope on her and went nahhhh). Stopped at APA archery. Owner was there and got to see how they custom design and make bows. Wound up buying a 2014 Mamba M6 bow which to this day has never seen an arrow by me (they shoot an arrow or two through a chronograph to confirm speeds but that's it). HOPING... to actually use it this year and go archery moose. So I phoned to ask if it was safe to shoot and the owner couldn't believe that I had never shot it.

Hate to say it but I think thats it...

Crap... just remembered a WS-MCR in 223. I think I bought it 2 years ago. Still haven't shot it.

Crap... crap... crap... ok. Lee Enfield and a Ross rifle both in 303 British. I got them from a friend (both guns were used by his uncle in the war but he didnt hunt ir shoot) somewhere around 9-10 years ago. Bought some ammo and was going to the Ross deer hunting as it was used as a sniper rifle in the war (not that its training will help my shooting) but wanted to use it out of respect. And I just remembered that he also gave me a Winchester pump 12 gauge with an exposed hammer. Can't remember the model offhand.

**** IT!!!! The wife might be right.... I might have a gun buying addiction!!!!

Ordered a Weatherby Apex in 257 Bee, put a Maven RS3 on it for the "Wyoming" package. I bought factory ammo, brass, dies, bullets and it has now sat for a year. I like it, but I picked up a Backcountry 2.0 in 6.5RPM at the same time. I've started working with that one.

I also picked up a CZ600 Range in 6 Creed that hasn't been outside.

I have a Model 1873 Winchester with a DOB of 1883 in awesome shape about 15 years ago. I picked up some cowboy 44-40 rounds and fired it 3 times, cleaned it and put away.

I've got 2 I've never fired in the save. S&W model 19 Texas Ranger from 1974, and a Marlin 62 in 256 Winchester. (have 3 boxes factory ammo and 3 boxes of Winchester Brass to reload if I do shoot it :) .
The Marlin Levermatic. I have a lead on the 256 Win. locally. Not un fired though. That is a rarity. I have the 30 cal & the Marlin model 57 in 22 Mag.

Gun collectors are cut from a different cloth than me. I like to look at and handle firearms, but I love to shoot them more. I've gotten to the point that if I don't shoot it, I don't need it. I do have a CZ 457 I haven't shot, but only due to waiting on the rail to be delivered.

I have none. If I don't shoot them within a couple of years, they are gone. At my age I am going to get rid of even more.

This really needs a trip to Africa and used on a Cape Buffalo and maybe an elephant! JMO!
I have plenty of others for that purpose, this was purchased at the same time as all the other custom shop offerings except the 500 Jeffrey, I already had the 505 Gibbs. The list was 375H&H, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffrey, 458 Lott, 450 Rigby & 505 Gibbs, only have the 416 Rigby and 450 Rigby left now. Used some of the actions from these and normal 550 Safari actions to build other rifles based on 416 Rigby wildcats…

Cheers.

Oh double crap... Remington 600 in 350 Rem Mag. Got it 2 years ago roughly??? Maybe 3???? Put a scope on and still need to take her out.
One of the few rifles I've sold that I wish I'd hung on to. I bought a 600, 350 mad in factory laminated stock in the late 70's. Didn't seem to be a good fit at the time. Wish I'd hung on to it now.

@droptine I an currently trying really hard to find a M77 in 6.5 Rem Mag but I think that I will have to give up on it as it is just too expensive for me. So now trying to find a Rem 660 in 6.5 RM. I have a Rem 673 in 6.5 RM and you gotta love the fact that a 55 year (plus) cartridge does it EVERY much as good in terms of velocity and accuracy as the "new" 6.5 PRC.

@droptine I an currently trying really hard to find a M77 in 6.5 Rem Mag but I think that I will have to give up on it as it is just too expensive for me. So now trying to find a Rem 660 in 6.5 RM. I have a Rem 673 in 6.5 RM and you gotta love the fact that a 55 year (plus) cartridge does it EVERY much as good in terms of velocity and accuracy as the "new" 6.5 PRC.
A few years ago I tried to find a 660 in 350 REM mag like the one and sold but gave up. Next year I may take a trip to the Tulsa gun and try to find a 350 or 6.5. I need to get this long range rifle I'm rounding up parts for done. Along with a few more projects I'm working on done.

I might want to shoot that new Bronze colored Howa in 300 Mag I found in the safe the day I'd forgot about that make me start this post lol.

RR 24" bull barreled bought 8 years ago with 0 rounds down the pipe.
Savage110 300wm stealth bought 4 years ago 0 down the pipe.
2) 110 builds that I haven't totally finished (264 & 300 wm's).
Bought a 10mm 2.0 s&w that stood for year and a half before shot.
6) AR's that I built and not shot yet that average from 8 months to 5 years.

Life of living in pain has held my trigger time down along with reloading/load development.