Got a STW......but

RemingtonShooter

Hi guys. I picked up a Sendero in a 7mm STW. It is the stainless/fluted model. It also has the slim hs precision stock versus the new beaver tail/palm swell stock. It only had 20 rounds thru it and came with 40 rounds of HSM 168 grain vlds and 20 rounds of federal trophy 150 grain.

Neither shot well. The hsm lived up to the reputation. The federal shot about 1.5 inches. So do I keep it? Its awfully expensive to test factory or custom loads to get it to shoot acceptable which i know it will do. I don't reload but do have about 130 empty cases I picked up from my cousin who loves his stw. I see the potential but am I correct that if you don't reload the stw is challenging for the nonreloader ?

N

Hi guys. I picked up a Sendero in a 7mm STW. It is the stainless/fluted model. It also has the slim hs precision stock versus the new beaver tail/palm swell stock. It only had 20 rounds thru it and came with 40 rounds of HSM 168 grain vlds and 20 rounds of federal trophy 150 grain.

Neither shot well. The hsm lived up to the reputation. The federal shot about 1.5 inches. So do I keep it? Its awfully expensive to test factory or custom loads to get it to shoot acceptable which i know it will do. I don't reload but do have about 130 empty cases I picked up from my cousin who loves his stw. I see the potential but am I correct that if you don't reload the stw is challenging for the nonreloader ?

N

The answer to your question is yes and no. The STW's usually shoot better with hand loads. There is some decent factory ammo out there, but it is hit or miss as far as if it will shoot in your gun. I picked up some factory ammo awhile ago, that

was priced right. My intention was to just pull the bullets, and hand load it. Well, I was at the range, and had one of the boxes
in my truck. I decided to use it for fouling. Well, it ended up shooting very nicely to the point that I kept 2 boxes to shoot. But that is the exception but not the rule. For the most part, the STW is a hand loaders cartridge. Maybe your cousin will
handload some ammo for you. IF, you decide to sell it, you won't have trouble with that. ( I may even be interested) Ha HA. But the answer to the other side of your question is ,yes, factory ammo for the most part is NOT cheap, especially if you EXPECT it to shoot well. Even some of the Premium stuff has great components, but if they are not TUNED to your gun, they still won't shoot to capacity. Take care and enjoy that rifle. It will make you smile:)

I bought a Sendero 7mm STW with less than 10 rounds down the barrel last month. My handloads the first time at the range I was shooting consistently well under MOA (about 1/2 MOA) at 100 yards.

If I did not hand load for my Sendero 7mm STW I would buy Double Tap ammo or Nosler ammo.

If I were you I would not be quick to give up. You have an awesome rifle with an incredible caliber.

I absolutely love mine and in fact last week I bought another Sendero 7mm STW. :D

Here you go for getting ammo for it at the best price:

http://ammoseek.com/?gun=rifle&cal=292

Bed it, brake it, tune the trigger. Handload or have someone do loadwork for you. Pay your buddy, if he'll do it. It should shoot.

Or, you're halfway to a good custom...

I dont handload and althoug I will someday and 7mm Mag will suite my needs.....I agree. The caliber is awesome and I think the best 7mm, but I cant justify just keeping in a the safe....

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.