Rifle choices

gpo1956

Hello guys. This is my first post and I'm looking for feedback on some rifles. I've been shooting for over 45 years. However, I've been out of hunting rifles for 8-10 years. My main interests are higher end 1911s and AR type rifles. However, for the last two years I've been going to South Texas to a friends high fence ranch and helping him cull his herd. Shots can be anywhere from 25 yards to 500 yards. I've decided on a 7MM-08 or the 260 Remington. I'm looking at one of the following three rifles. I will probably be changing to a Bell and Carlson Medallion stock replacement and will be mounting Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42 scope that I already have. If need be I can also replace the trigger. I'm looking at the Remington 700 PSP, the Weatherby Vanguard II or the Tikka T3, all in the blue/black finish. Which would you guys vote for? Also, would it be worthwhile to move up to the Browning XBolt Stalker? This will be for 8-10 days of hunting and general recreational shooting during the year. I do handload by the way. Do any of these stand out from the rest?

For LR culling to 500 yards, used 8-10 days a year. I would get a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor. The best LR shooter in the bunch.

The 6.5cm is going to be hard to beat in a short action. If you go that route I'd buy a box of factory ammo, you might be surprised by the accuracy. If weight is an issue I think they offer it in a predator platform also.

Otherwise of the rifles you listed I would take a long hard look at the tikkas.

If it was me, it would be a no brainer. With the choices given, I would go with the Browning. It has the nicest fit and finish of all listed and is no slouch in the accuracy department.

Is this the one you guys are talking about? Savage 11LRH 6.5" CREED HF $951.00 SHIPS FREE

Its a little long and heavy for what I'm wanting. Is there a more sporter version you would recommend?

Savage chambers the 6.5 Creed in several rifles. They have the Model 16 stainless. It's more of a sporter and weighs 7 lbs. They also make a Light Weight Hunter that weighs 5.6 lbs. They have another the Predator Hunter that come in at 8.5 lb. but has a shorter barrel than the Long Range Hunter. All of the rifles have proven accuracy.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is actually is going faster, hits harder, with less drop and wind deflection at 500 yards than the 7-08.

At 500 yards with 140 Gr. bullets the Creedmoor is: 100 FPS faster, 150 Ft-lbs more energy, shoots 1" flatter, and has a whopping 4" less wind drift. ALL of this with a little less recoil!

This is the reason most were suggesting going with the Creedmoor versus the 7-08.

Hornady also makes great ammo for the Creed. They load the 140 AMax with is a fine long range match bullet that would hammer a deer at 500 yards. The ammo is also relatively inexpensive. These are reasons why the Creedmoor has become so popular.

Without replacing the stock, I'd go with the Weatherby and consider the Range Certified version, given the 500 yard distance you are contemplating. If you for sure intend to replace the stock, I'd consider the Tikka instead, as the Weatherby stock and bedding strategy is part of the equation. IDK if you will see better (should) or worse (might) accuracy once you rebed the Vanguard in your new stock, but I have a strong opinion about not messing with a good thing, and so despite my success at rebedding most rifles, why tinker with something that works? The Tikka has a good reputation and the upgraded stock would be welcomed! In answer to caliber, if you are sticking to deer sized game at up to 500 yards, the 260 is going to be a better choice than the 7mm-08 because you will be sending a slipperier bullet downrange faster. It will resist drift better and provide slightly better tolerances for variances in weather and range estimation. Both cartridges you consider have the ability to humanely kill deer at 500 yards, in the hands of someone who is willing to dedicate the time to practice at these ranges. Don't let folks tell you that bullet mass is the deciding factor here (between these two specific cartridges)...energy is far more important, especially with deer sized game. My go-to tested deer load has a 100-grain 0.257 bullet leaving the muzzle just north of 3200 fps and has been shown a number of times to be a consistent one-shot kill out to 500 yards. The 7mm-08 shows some advantages at closer ranges and if you are going for elk or similar sized animals, you will be happier with the 7mm-08 and you can make it do what you need to for deer at the ranges you suggest. Both are decent choices if you are going for short-action rifle. If you move to long-action, consider the 270 Winchester or possibly the 25-06 Remington as somewhat superior cartridges.

Unsolicited, I would also strongly consider a Savage equipped with their accustock. These tend to be very accurate rifles requiring little or no modification to achieve the accuracy you are suggesting you want. You might wait a few months and see how the new Bergara B14s are faring, or go out and buy one of those and let us all know how it shoots! The potential is there with the Bergara, but it will take a little time to see how they perform for a number of shooters.

Nothing wrong with the 260 Remington. I noticed it said high end ARs, you can get a GA Precision GAP 10 G2 and run 260 Remington 130 AR Hybrids easily to 500 yards, or you can get a 6.5 Creedmoor and run 140 Hybrids. Both will work exceptionally well. The AR Hybrid was designed specifically so you can run the 260 Remington with great accuracy. Sam Barr who used to work for us, put rounds on a 10 inch target at 1 mile with our factory 130 AR Hybrid ammo.

I would go with a GAP 10 G2 in 260 Rem or 6.5 C, but don't sweat the details. 260 Rem is easier to get ammo for, both are great cartridges, in the end its like choosing Ford or Chevy.

You can get the Savage Weather Warrior with an accustock in the calibers suggested. I believe about $720 or thereabouts.

I don't have experience with the 6.5CM, but ballistically it is pretty similar to the 260 Rem, just a touch more case capacity that will get you ballpark 50 fps (that is less than 2% more velocity, which is marginal at the ranges suggested...and you will notice the Tikka and Savage have a 22 inch barrel, while the Bergara and Weatherby have 24 inch barrels, which should reclaim at least 50 fps for you...so just be thoughtful about what you are doing here).

If you are choosing between the 260 and the 6.5CM, start by going to some of your local sporting goods stores to see what their inventory looks like (unless you reload). That might be the deciding factor between the two. Both are better choices than the 7mm-08 for what you are planning to do with your rifle.

BTW, I think the Weatherby does not come in 260, but does come in 6.5CM (and 25-06 and 270). Have fun figuring this all out!!

Remington 700 SPS in .260, BC Stock, glass bed, Timney Trigger. Got a semi custom for $950.00. This set up will easily get you out to 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.