Rifle and caliber choices

I'm in the same boat regarding a fused neck. Probably need another , but getting by on injections. I have a 338 RUM that's about 9 lbs. I've switched to 180 grain Accubonds for practice (did shoot an antelope with them) and that makes the next day more peaceful. The stock on mine is an original pattern Winchester model 70 Mcmillan, all that was available in synthetic many years ago, and I really need to change it, The Mcmillan Lazzeroni thumbhole is on the to do list see if i can't put a little more recoil into a straighter line, and take up a bit in my right hand, Then likely a heavier scope. Bullet weight, rifle weight, stock fit and design, and I think it's doable. You're close where do you shoot?

Harperc I used to shoot near Colville as I had a friend that had some property up there. He sold it this last fall so am looking for something new. Have shot down near Fishtrap lake on some BLM land, but they closed that thanks to the morons that would bring junk out, shoot it and then leave there mess behind. I have not done much for the last year as L and I takes there sweet loving time even when a guy can't feel his hands.

Harperc one other thing I forgot to mention in my last post. If you want to add a little weight as well as make your rum recoil strait back try a wood thumb hole with a lower cheek piece . Take a look at Joel Russo's web page to get an idea. If my 50 sells I will be using one of his stocks for my next build.

Good looking stock thanks. Weight wise I can pick up a pound changing from my Leupold Mk4, and gain a bit more magnification as well. With bear season open I'll wait a bit on all of it.

Not sure how much recoil you can take, so I'm going to assume that you want to play it safe and say a 7mag with a 28-30" barrel on a #6 couture maybe even brake it. You should be able to reach 1200yrds with 1000ft/lbs and some to spare, and that's with 168gr vlds. With the heavier vld's it would get even better. If your neck can take more recoil then hey by all means go big as you can. gun)

Take a look at some of Kirby Allens stuff:cool:

Joe thanks for the reply. I have a 7WSM and it weights 12.5 with no brake its still nice to shoot. My thinking is looking for something in the 338 cal as I shoot and hunt past 600 pretty regular. While I like my 7 I don't trust it past that for an elk. Kirby's guns are the stuff dreams are made of. If I can get rid of my 50 then I will be ordering one from him for sure.

I have a 338 AM and love it it is 17lbs and has one of Kirby's big 5 port brakes on it and there is just hardly any kick from that beast. I have had several young high school girls shoot that with no problem what so ever. If you are ever down around the walla walla area send me a pm and we can go out and shoot a few. I also have an edge you could see what you would like better the edge kicks alot more but its not bad it wieghs about 11.5lbs and has a 3 port holland on it.

Booney thanks for the offer I may take you up on that. I shot one of Kirby's Idaho legal guns at his place a couple years ago and was shocked at how little recoil there is. It is right at the top of my list for choices. I loved the recoil of my 50 prior to my surgery. If I still have my 50 I may have to bring it along for you to enjoy lol.

The big 338's, 375's, etc are better at long range elk to 1200 yards but if recoil is a problem you do have choices. One is a heavy 12-15 pound rifle in a lapua class cartridge shooting a lighter bullet. The best I have found on the light side is the D62 225 grain Cutting Edge .64 BC. It will average around 500 fps faster than the 300 grainers and ballistically will prevail to your 1200 yards. I don't hunt past there so it is one of my favorite bullets. The recoil is way lighter than the 300 grainers.

The 338 winchester is another choice. It will kill elk to your 1200 yards. Not quite as good as the big 338's but will do the job with a well placed bullet. Some people try to shoot the little 7mm remington at elk to 1000 yards and the 338 winchester is way more cartridge than the little 7mm remington power wise although they are the same case just necked to different calibers. The 7mm remington will do the job with a well placed shot and the 338 winchester will do it better with more bone crushing power. When combined with the .64 BC 225 grain bullet at 2950 fps the 338 winchester becomes a serious 1000 yard hunter. I took a bull moose at 1100 yards easily with this cartridge and a 225 grain bullet. I shoot a 338 winchester regularly and love the power it produces with little recoil. I shoot a 24" barrel carry gun mostly that weighs 6 3/8 pounds without a brake. Recoil is not a problem with mine. With your neck and say a ten pound rifle with a 225 grain bullet and a good brake I doubt you would feel it much.

At 1000 yards in elk country I am showing nearly 1900 fps with near 1800 foot pounds energy. At 1200 yards just over 1700 fps at around 1450 foot pounds. This bullet has the toughness to put an elk down at that range.

LTLR thanks for the reply. Recoil seems to be not to much of an issue if I keep the rifle weight up. I figure that the 12-18 lb range will still allow me a real elk round and moderate recoil. I have used my 7WSM on elk at 645 yards and after seeing that compared to what my old 338-378 did, I won't use the 7 past 600 again. Those CE bullets are sure looking like the best balance for weight vs velocity. When my 50 sells I will be looking for a 338 or 375.

I am 13, 95 lbs and 4"11' and I can't shoot 20 rds out of my dads savage 110 fcp hs 338 Lapua that weighs 14.5 lbs scoped and not have a sore shoulder the next day. I could probably go more but I haven't tried.

barnesuser28 I'm 5'9" and 225 lbs I have shot a ton of different stuff over the last 20 years. I used to love recoil a lot. Shot a 460 WBY with no brake, that was a bit painful though. I have come to love a real good brake and despise a bad one. As I have gotten older I think I am getting a little smarter not much but a little. Now that my neck has a plate and some cadaver bone in it the brake choice is even more critical. I have shot one of Kirby Allen's Pain Killer brakes and am a lifetime believer. My dad has a light weight 300 win that I wont even try now as an 8 lb rifle with no brake would just be torture for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.