Ridgeline shoots poorly and jams

Yesterday, 6 rounds, cleaned, walked to target. Barrel warm, not hot. 9th round started to get heavy bolt lift, this would've been 3rd after cleaning. 11th round jammed, could not open bolt. Gun warm, but could hold the barrel in your hand.
And I think I said I have fired a thousand rounds between the 2 of them. But I've shot them lots. If you go back and look at the targets I posted, the first shot of the day is in the "X", then next is about inch high, then they will start to walk all over the place. And I just gets even more weird. I will shoot 4" at 2 o clock, then it will shoot low at 6 o clock, then an inch left at 9 o clock, then next shot will be in the same hole as the 2 o clock shot. Thought scopes weren't tracking, have tried 4 different ones and even another brand that I know is good.
OK, if everything you posted about this rifle is true, then there is no question you should tell Christensen to refund your money and you give them back their "product". I am really perplexed as to the reason why you bought two Christensen "products".

I have 3 Sauer factory rifles. And I would not trade one of them for 3 brand new in the box Christensens.

Yesterday, 6 rounds, cleaned, walked to target. Barrel warm, not hot. 9th round started to get heavy bolt lift, this would've been 3rd after cleaning. 11th round jammed, could not open bolt. Gun warm, but could hold the barrel in your hand.
And I think I said I have fired a thousand rounds between the 2 of them. But I've shot them lots. If you go back and look at the targets I posted, the first shot of the day is in the "X", then next is about inch high, then they will start to walk all over the place. And I just gets even more weird. I will shoot 4" at 2 o clock, then it will shoot low at 6 o clock, then an inch left at 9 o clock, then next shot will be in the same hole as the 2 o clock shot. Thought scopes weren't tracking, have tried 4 different ones and even another brand that I know is good.
I think you work too hard, take that thing to the pawn-shop, get some cash and go find a new rifle.. You dumped a ton of money into just bullets alone. My GF's CA in 6.5 Creed did the same thing and I traded it inside of two months. Like you I tried a bunch of stuff and it was just a lemon. We down-graded price wise to a Tikka and it shoot's worlds better and she couldn't be happier. Feel bad for whomever bought it but its not like you can send a lemon back to the rifle factory for a full refund.-WW

You say when it gets "hot", well how hot? How many rounds are you firing and at what intervals until the issue arises?

You also said you have fired a thousand rounds thru it already? Did it ever shoot well when cool and not running hot?
Now you say there has been a thousand rounds out of it? Dude, The barrel is done on a 6.5 PRC at 1000 rounds or even less. That's the main reason F-Class shooters have switched from 6.5-284 to straight .284 because the straight .284 will get about 2500 rds before the throat is shot out, The 6.5-284 like I said is done at 800 to 1000, The 6.5 PRC is the equivalent of the 6.5-284.

I built a 6.5x54R and around 900 rounds it started doing the same thing you are describing, It would shoot 2 in the same hole and the next one was several inches to the left or right, When the throat gets severely worn it tears the jackets of the bullets, This is what causes erratic grouping when throats are shot out.

And there is a lot of brass on the bolt face. Gary at Hornady told me that at one time CA put the wrong ejectors in the bolt. I asked about this and was told that did not happen.
I think the term vicarious liability may be involved, most companies/manufacturers are never going to give an answer that might come back to haunt them later. The comment about the ejector from Hornady may be, the Occam's razor moment here... it's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your photos. Just my 0.2 Good Luck.

I think you work too hard, take that thing to the pawn-shop, get some cash and go find a new rifle.. You dumped a ton of money into just bullets alone. My GF's CA in 6.5 Creed did the same thing and I traded it inside of two months. Like you I tried a bunch of stuff and it was just a lemon. We down-graded price wise to a Tikka and it shoot's worlds better and she couldn't be happier. Feel bad for whomever bought it but its not like you can send a lemon back to the rifle factory for a full refund.-WW
What goes around, comes around. Taking a potentially dangerous rifle to a pawn shop to sell it to some other poor guy is bad jewjew. CA should fix the problem. Then after the problem is fixed and the OP wanted to sell it I'd say go for it and I'd personally wash my hands of everything CA.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I sold a rifle that could hurt someone or at least ruin someone's day........ but that's me.

What goes around, comes around. Taking a potentially dangerous rifle to a pawn shop to sell it to some other poor guy is bad jewjew. CA should fix the problem. Then after the problem is fixed and the OP wanted to sell it I'd say go for it and I'd personally wash my hands of everything CA.

I couldn't sleep at night knowing that I sold a rifle that could hurt someone or at least ruin someone's day........ but that's me.

If it's dangerous why is he even shooting it? Somebody up thread proly should have told him its a time bomb and somebody is going to get killed? I didn't read all the posts I'd have just traded off a accuracy problem. A time bomb is another story all together..my bad.-WW

Already said it is boxed up ready to go back again. This has been going on from Day 1 with both guns. it is funny what you said about the jacket. The 300 prc, first day shooting it, took first 2 shots at 50 yds to get it on paper, and there were 3 holes in the target. I walked down and the 3rd hole, kind of funny shaped ( not a keyhole either) had entered the target from the front. Called Hornady they told me that is from the jacket splitting apart and molten lead spraying out. That there must be a burr in the barrel. Sent it back in right away and CA put on a new barrel. Same thing with new barrel, not the jacket thing. but poor accuracy, and jamming. In the pic you can see the ammo I have wasted, ok maybe not a thousands rounds, but sure as hell seems like it. And I counted 44 boxes of ammo between the two of them :(

Attachments

• 20220828_191835.jpg
    20220828_191835.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Already said it is boxed up ready to go back again. This has been going on from Day 1 with both guns. it is funny what you said about the jacket. The 300 prc, first day shooting it, took first 2 shots at 50 yds to get it on paper, and there were 3 holes in the target. I walked down and the 3rd hole, kind of funny shaped ( not a keyhole either) had entered the target from the front. Called Hornady they told me that is from the jacket splitting apart and molten lead spraying out. That there must be a burr in the barrel. Sent it back in right away and CA put on a new barrel. Same thing with new barrel, not the jacket thing. but poor accuracy, and jamming. In the pic you can see the ammo I have wasted, ok maybe not a thousands rounds, but sure as hell seems like it. And I counted 44 boxes of ammo between the two of them :(
Ouch!! 44 boxes @ $50 a box is $2,200 worth of freedom seeds

No way in hello I would warranty a rifle that has that many rounds thru it...good way to go out of business quick. If Christensen replaces the barrel then kudos to them.

You know adam, it is kind of funny, I have said several times that this gun just came back from the factory with a new barrel. It has 11 rounds through it. I first fired the new barrel yesterday. Thank you for all of your input, but maybe reading first might be in order. Have a nice evening.

That is what really hurts Duckman11, I could've bought another gun with that:(
Not to rub salt in a wound but.....you have around 7k wrapped up in 2 rifles that didn't shoot good. That's not even factoring in your time and targets and shipping.

I'd give CA the chance to make it right in my eyes. Good luck bud and keep us posted

And one of the worst parts of this whole story is my wife gave me one and my son bought me the other for Xmas last year. We are drawing for a barren ground caribou hunt in Alaska and he thought the 300prc would be great.

Recent Posts