Recoil management-poor shooting

Wow, this rifle is a HUNTING rifle we are all concerned with here...it is NOT a bench gun and most likely will not be used in that manner in the field.
All one needs is a solution to shooting on the bench to sight in and do load development.
Why make it so hard by adding muzzle brakes, mercury recoil reducers and other wiz bang devices?
Buy some rubber padding, strap it to your shoulder while shooting off the bench and be done with it.
At my club, as of December 2020, brakes have been banned and the max calibre reduced to 8mm.
This rules out my use of the 338-416 Rigby Improved 45°, but prior to this ban, that rifle from prone without a brake was like getting hit by a 10lb sledge hammer.
Do what you can simply, no need to go to extremes to sight in and shoot a few groups with factory ammo.

Cheers.
What is wrong with the management of your range?

They are all old fashioned and do not like NEW THINGS.
We complained, so they built a shed atop the firing line and said this is why we can't allow muzzle brakes or rifles above 8mm (.323"). So, they justified THEIR decision by making another DECISION that not a single paying member was consulted about.
Anyway, it is what it is, because back in February, the entire Committee were voted back in. I will be looking to go to a different club in December.

Cheers.

I have an option that a partner of mine and I made for just these situations, sighting in hard kicking rifles and shot guns.
Especially for the novice and those that are recoil sensitive.
You will be able to concentrate on placing the shot without worrying about recoil.
It will save wasting expensive ammunition and barrel wear too!
This is a simple nylon strap that absorbs the recoil just like tow straps for a vehicle.
It works best on a bench, resting on a bipod or front bag, but can be used without a rest too.
Just attach the ends to the bench legs with the strap looped around the butt like in the photo.
QD buckles make it easy to adjust and there is a cross strap that makes a pocket to keep it on the the butt.
Pull the rifle into your shoulder applying tension on the strap, put it on target and press the trigger, simple as that!
It is simple, small enough to fit in your pocket, and can be used anywhere you can anchor it down, even in a hunting blind with some ingenuity.
It can be used for other things too, a hasty sling for carrying items, a pack strap, dragging deer out of the woods etc.
I would be glad to send one to you FREE of charge, just PM me with your shipping address.
Please try it out and let everyone know what you think, in any event it will be yours FREE!

Whatever anyone thinks, this thing works very well. I just want to share a good thing, I don't even intend to sell them at this point, I just want to get feedback.

My name is Steve, I hope this is of some help to you or possibly others.

Here is what I am talking about:
Sling Shot 2a.jpg

Sling Shot 1a.jpg

Sling Shot 3a.jpg

I have an option that a partner of mine and I made for just these situations, sighting in hard kicking rifles and shot guns.
You will be able to concentrate on placing the shot without worrying about recoil.
This is a simple nylon strap that absorbs the recoil just like tow straps for a vehicle.
It works best on a bench, resting on a bipod or front bag, but can be used without a rest too.
Just attach the ends to the bench legs with the strap looped around the butt like in the photo.
QD buckles make it easy to adjust and there is a cross strap that makes a pocket to keep it on the the butt.
Pull the rifle into your shoulder applying tension on the strap, put it on target and press the trigger, simple as that!
It is simple, small enough to fit in your pocket, and can be used anywhere you can anchor it down, even in a hunting blind with some ingenuity.
It can be used for other things too, a hasty sling for carrying items, a pack strap, dragging deer out of the woods etc.
I would be glad to send one to you FREE of charge, just PM me with your shipping address.
Please try it out and let everyone know what you think, in any event it will be yours FREE!

Whatever anyone thinks, this thing works very well. I just want to share a good thing, I don't even intend to sell them at this point, I just want to get feedback.

Sling Shot 2a.jpg

Sling Shot 1a.jpg

Sling Shot 3a.jpg
I think this is a great idea and I would like to try one as I am recoil sensitive. I think you should fatten and sell it

but I am not tech savvy so I don't know how to tell if this is a scam

Hi everyone, I need some help. I own among many other rifles of sako finnlight in 300 WSM. For the life of me I cannot sight it in anything better than a 3 inch group... Unfortunately, I have to admit this is due to my inability off managing the recoil and shooting it without a flinch. The gun is about 7 1/2 pound scoped and it beats me up bad. I also own a 9 pound 375H&H and I can shoot that one with no problem... This little WSM however just beats me. I'm planning to take this rifle for a mountain hunt this summer and I am wondering what should I do to properly sight it in? Would you have it threaded and use a muzzlebreak or a can? The problem is I detest muzzle breaks and a can make the gun rather unwieldy. Would you think sighting it in in a lead sled like device would be reasonable? I can shoot it for a couple rounds without the sled but then the wheels come off as it starts to beat me up, therefore I am unable to even sight it in right now.... Anyways, any suggestions are welcome and if you think it is best to thread it where would you have it done? I live in by the twin cities in MN.
I would handload some reduced pressure rounds to get yourself used to the rifle and just be more comfortable with it. Then you can shoot some groups of the real standard weight rounds mixed in to get it sighted for the hunting rounds. Once you you figure out the offset you can just sight it in with your reduced load (with offset) and then confirm zero with your hunting load.

I used a Limb Saver shoulder pad for precision range shooting, then swapped it out for a Limb Saver Recoil pad since the pad was bit clumsy for me in the prone position. For me, recoil is thing of the past.

I think this is a great idea and I would like to try one as I am recoil sensitive. I think you should fatten and sell it

but I am not tech savvy so I don't know how to tell if this is a scam
My partner and I had a provisional patent pending, and made some samples, but did not follow through in the necessary time to do the full patent. This is not a scam in any way, I would like you to try it out, if you are recoil sensitive you will like how good it works. I will give one to you, and even ship it priority mail free. You will owe me nothing! When you try it out, please let me know what you think of it, good or bad either way.
Maybe you could even share the results with a friend or two, or on this site. These things can be made easily from common components, my first test of the idea was using cargo tie down straps.
I have a few available yet, and materials for quite a few more. Perhaps some others will become interested too. If that happens I can work out a fair price for shipping and materials. I will pm you with my information, and you can let me know where to mail one to.

I have a Rem. 700 Long Range that really was unpleasant to shoot. I looked at muzzle brakes for a while and decided
to go with a clamp on brake instead of turning the muzzle for a screw on. This is a factory barrel and it did not justify
the cost to me. I decided on the Witt Machine 5 port brake. It was under $100 and does a good job on felt recoil. It did not change POI on this rifle and groups under 1/2" @ 100 yds. with a 215 gr. Berger and 77.0 gr. H1000. The brake was easy to install and has stayed in place for 300 rounds. Along with a good recoil pad i think this might be a solution for your problem. Whatever you choose, I wish the best. I didn't mention this is a 300 WM with a 26" barrel.

Semper Fi, Sargesniper

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for giving more ideas.
As far as the device constructed from webbing material is concerned, I really appreciate the offer but unfortunately the benches which are installed at the range where I shoot would make it really hard to use. Therefore, I would like to pass the opportunity to rob257 to try it out. Regardless, I thank you Dragon3000 again for the kind offer.
If I manage to lay my hand on some ammunition, I will go back to the range and try the combination of the past recoil shield along with the limbsaver recoil pad. If that doesn't work I might consider a clamp on brake.

Sling Shot 2a.jpg

Sling Shot 1a.jpg

Sling Shot 3a.jpg
Hi Steve, (Dragon3000)

Also, just out of curiosity: is there any -even minimal- give to the sling allowing some minor recoil? This sling you invented looks like a great idea!

Hi Steve, (Dragon3000)

Also, just out of curiosity: is there any -even minimal- give to the sling allowing some minor recoil? This sling you invented looks like a great idea!
Yes, it absorbs recoil exactly like a tow or snatch strap the 4x4 guys pull stuck vehicles out without damaging the things they are attached to. All you feel is a small push, not a sudden slam.

Yes, it absorbs recoil exactly like a tow or snatch strap the 4x4 guys pull stuck vehicles out without damaging the things they are attached to. All you feel is a small push, not a sudden slam.
That sounds like a very well thought out device. Maybe I should find a different range where I could test it out...