RETUMBO lot consistency.

I found myself two days ago looking at 5 different lots of Retumbo in my stash. Thinking about what an ordeal was in front of me, I combined all lots into one. I marked every jug with 'LOT #2' on the lids.

Problem solved.

I have about the same variable in H1000 but I don't know if I'll have to resort to mixing them or not. ??

There are lot to lot changes in every powder made. Some will say that powders can swing up to 10%, I contracted to a powder company here in Australia, I can tell you that the powder lots are held to +/- 1.5%, or a 3% swing.

I have found buying large lots in 8lb jugs to be the way to go. I buy all my powders this way.

Cheers.
:)gun)

What has been the general consensus of RETUMBO consistency over the past few years?

i think i got a hotter than normal batch
found high pressure 1 grain over hodgdon starting charges with 300rum, case was smoked to match chamber shoulder and seating was 3.660 (.060 over suggested length), both of which should have relieved a little pressure

The current Retumbo lots(last 3-4 years) appear to be much more consistent. The major change was about 5-6 years ago where the newer lots produced higher velocity for a given charge. My original 6.5x284 load of 59gr was adjusted to 57gr to produce the same 2975FPS using Fed215 primers, Lapua brass, !40VLD's. The change seemed to occur around the same time Hogdon announced the new temperature stable formulation, and I experienced a similar change in charge weight with H1000. Accuracy, temperature stability, and ES has been superb, and Retumbo is my powder of choice with 6.5x284, 300WM, and 338 Lapua loads. It produces high velocities at relatively low pressure, and makes good use of the case volume.IMO.

The current Retumbo lots(last 3-4 years) appear to be much more consistent. The major change was about 5-6 years ago where the newer lots produced higher velocity for a given charge. My original 6.5x284 load of 59gr was adjusted to 57gr to produce the same 2975FPS using Fed215 primers, Lapua brass, !40VLD's. The change seemed to occur around the same time Hogdon announced the new temperature stable formulation, and I experienced a similar change in charge weight with H1000. Accuracy, temperature stability, and ES has been superb, and Retumbo is my powder of choice with 6.5x284, 300WM, and 338 Lapua loads. It produces high velocities at relatively low pressure, and makes good use of the case volume.IMO.

These powders are all made here in Australia, re-named and packaged by Hodgdon in the US.
The formula for Retumbo, named 2225 here, has never changed, it was always a temp stable powder formulation.
The swings in lot to lot are normal. It happens with ALL powders.

Thales is the company I worked for making all these powders you use as Hodgdon in the US. It is known as ADI here (Australian Defense Industries)

Cheers.
gun)

These powders are all made here in Australia, re-named and packaged by Hodgdon in the US.
The formula for Retumbo, named 2225 here, has never changed, it was always a temp stable powder formulation.
The swings in lot to lot are normal. It happens with ALL powders.

Thales is the company I worked for making all these powders you use as Hodgdon in the US. It is known as ADI here (Australian Defense Industries)

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks, it's nice to get input from someone with direct experience. I would expect that while it would be very possible for the manufacturers to much better control the lot variations, the process and testing costs would be too high to support the market. Your comments support the practice of acquiring enough powder of a particular lot or blend of a powder that will last the life of the barrel. While it's not always practical or necessary, I have done this with a few of my competition and LR hunting rifles and it has worked very well. When I do this I will also attempt to acquire bullet, primer and brass lots as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.