Lot to Lot Consistency - H380

I used the same load through 3 cans of H380 in my .22-250 without having to change my load. Worked fine for me.

Same here on consistancy, i have used H380 with 2 different 22-250's over the last 2 years and I have seen pretty consistant results, 37-39grs yields around 3700-3800fps in both guns. I have noticed a decent amount of temp sensitivity with the powder though and 39grs in warm temps in probably too hot of a load.

The powder definantly kicks but in a 22-250.

steve

On a scale of 1-10 of lot to lot consistency, I would rate H380 at 7. It seems to be pretty good from lot to lot. It is the temp variations that put a big negativo on this powder in my book. I rarely use it anymore. I once saw it go from mild mild mild in the morning on a prairie dog hunt, to being a time bomb waiting to happen in the afternoon. The gun had to be retired until evening so the brass could still be used after the hunt. Not to mention it is one of the filthiest dang powders available. Shoot 10 rounds of it out of a 220 swift and it looks like you need to hire a chimney sweep to clean your barrel.

I'm not trying to be a know it all, but you can avoid batch changes simply by buying in bulk 5# and up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sniper2,

That is what I will do if the powder is a keeper. I just loaded up some .243 Winchester loads with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips and H380. If it is a keeper I would love to have an 8#'er. If not, it is the only gun I have right now that could utilize the powder, so I only bought 1#.

Thanks.

Let me know how the load works out. I've had great luck with the H380 with the 243 with the same bullet. I love H380 also because it meters so consistantly and settles in the case so well. My boy uses this for collecting coyote pelts and it doesn't usually penetrate the hide.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.