pressure difference from lot to lot of retumbo

wolverine99

I was using a little retumbo from a friend to see if my gun liked it, and it did so i ordered a keg of it. I know that there are differences in lots but I had to back down from 56.6g of my friends lot of retumbo to 54.5 of my retumbo. Is that a lot or is it normal

2 grains? What made you decide to back off? Velocity, pressure signs, group size, etc??

That just doesn't seem right. Check everything - I bet something else is going on...

that is with all the same primers, seating depth, case lenght haven't change a thing. 55g is still showing ejector button marks. Any thoughts? I am shooting at 1000-1200 feet higher elevation than when I was using my friends powder.

I can believe it , I had a newer lot of H1000 that I had to back off 4 grains from a proven load. I am not using H1000 and retumbo anymore ,too much variation. I went back to RL25 which I have used for years in many magnums, and the issues went away.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.