Requesting advice

ASK

Hi,

I have Browning hunter X-bolt action 300 WSM.

by mistake I forgot the Laser Bore Sight then I gun).
Around 2 inches of the barrel is damaged.
Do you advise me to cut the 2 inches of the barrel or buy a new barrel.

waiting for your reply

thanks

Thank you for your reply
Where can I find barrel for browning x-bolt 300 wsm 23inches?

Thanks

Take it to a competent gunsmith. Let them determine if the current barrel can be salvaged. If not, let them rebarrel.

When you get it rebarreled, don't forget to take out the bore sight. :D

I agree with outdoorsman1.
My friend did the same thing. Our gunsmith inspected the barrel and found that cutting 2" off and recrowning would be fine.

The cheapest route could very well be to have Browning rebarrel it. I'd check before taking it to a smith and then see what a smith will charge to cut and crown. You might be surprised at how reasonable some manufacturers are to rebarrel.

I have a lathe so I would cut and re-crown, heck. Id do it for $25 just because I'd hate to see you have to spend the money to rebarrel. Good luck and if you need help PM me.

For 300WSM I would opt for a rebarrel. There are many good barrel companies that will do this for you, or you can send it back to browning. As far as cutting a barrel down to 21" from 23", you may be sacificing a bit of the cartridges performance advantages.

Hi guys,

Thanks all for your advice. I Have already contacted browning and they Did not offer rebarreling in the branch in montreal. They suggested changing the whole gun as the price of the barrel is the same as that of a new rifle. I do nothing know if in the US the pricing is different. Does anyone know of a place where to get new barrel for my Rifle?

Finally, I want to apologize for my late reply as I was deer hunting. Yesterday I got one with a killer shot using the damaged rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.