Tight Chamber Advice

clbrown23

I recently had a gun built by a local smith, r700 long action, proof research blank, titanium break, chambered in .284 WIN. I provided the smith with a virgin Lapua 284 case so they could have an idea of brass dimensions I would be using. When I went to pick up the barreled action, I brought a couple virgin pieces with me. I opened the bolt and pushed a piece of brass into the chamber with my finger, I was looking/feeling for contact on the shoulder of the case with the front of the chamber. Instead the case got tight and would not go further into the chamber or come back out. I pointed the barrel up in the the air and shook the rifle, case would not fall out of the chamber. I told the owner, that the chamber is too tight, that its a virgin piece of brass it should slide in and out of the chamber. He took the gun ran a patch through it came back and said, the chamber is a little tight but it will be fine. We went back and forth a bit, I told him it shouldn't be like that, its too tight, He looked at me and said I'm not going to fix it, I am not going to fix something that isn't a problem, go shoot it and if its a problem bring it back and we will look at it, and maybe we will try to polish the chamber. I told him it is a problem already virgin brass shouldnt get stuck in the chamber, he refused to do anything about it.

To be honest when thinking about the money I have already in the build it makes me sick, I don't want to shoot the gun, I am ready to explain the situation and sell the gun the way it is, being completely open with the chamber issue. But I thought I would ask here first if anyone has any advice on what they would do? Is there a way to fix the tight chamber issue, do I shoot it and then take it back to them, give them a chance to make it right?

Its obvious that it is tight at the web of the case, I am able to close the bolt and chamber and extract the case with the bolt.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Here is a snapshot of the SAAMI spec 284 WIN brass and reamer.
I would run your brass thru a full length die to just touch the shoulder. See if it chambers easier.
You may have brass that needs to be trued with a die.
If that isn't satisfactory you could have a chamber cast made and measure it to the SAAMI drawing.
If you have or can borrow factory ammo, chamber that.
The other thing to consider if the neck is tight from using a "tight neck reamer", that may require neck turning your brass.
Don't give up yet. Ask the gunsmith for a copy of the reamer drawing. Compare to the SAAMI drawing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-214138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-214138_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 83
Thanks for the diagram Bob, I will look into the options you have above. At the same time it's frustrating to me. I was building a custom gun and when I got it back I just wanted to shoot it. It ridiculous to even think I should have chase those steps to use the gun...

We talked very in depth about what I would be using. I told him I wanted it chambered to use the components I provided and I wanted to be able to use a specific bullet seated long to not compromise case capacity. We talked about this a lot.

FYI:
I have a couple of 284 Win rifles and Lapua brass has always been a tighter fit than Winchester brass.
Winchester brass is a tad bit smaller in the web area...like .005 or so.
If you run it thru your FL die... it should fit.
With that said, when running hot loads I get a tight bolt lift quicker with Lapua brass than Win brass.

FYI:
I have a couple of 284 Win rifles and Lapua brass has always been a tighter fit than Winchester brass.
Winchester brass is a tad bit smaller in the web area...like .005 or so.
If you run it thru your FL die... it should fit.
With that said, when running hot loads I get a tight bolt lift quicker with Lapua brass than Win brass.
Yep, that's precisely the point and why I asked.

Be careful..... I have run into this more than once. With lapua brass...
Tite is better than loose. Because it can if needed be corrected...
Gunsmith may have used a match chamber reamer which is titer than a SAAMI..
Bob Wright gave good advice see his post above.....
run lubed brass through a full length die.
Check chamber with factory loaded ammo....
Shoot the gun after all this.... then you will know what you got..... if you PM me we can talk on the phone....

There won't be any factory ammo that I know of to try in your chamber.
Do as Feenix instructed and you'll immediately know what you got and what to do... if anything other than load and shoot.
Agreed size your brass and go shoot , don't waste your time with Winchester brass on that 284 win .