Tight Chamber Advice

wanted to update this thread. I did go a head and run some brass through a resizing die, I pushed the shoulder back a little each time, until it was well beyond the specs of the attached reamer dimensions. still getting stuck when pushed into chamber with my finger. for reference attached is a picture is the measurements of specs on my virgin Lapua brass.

Attachments

• 16623262667848783321546660408340.jpg
    16623262667848783321546660408340.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This is not an unusual issue with any 284 based chambering when used with Lapua brass and the reamer hasn't been properly set up for Lapua brass and dies. The Smith should honestly rechamber it with a reamer that will allow you to reload it properly, any seasoned gunsmith would ask if your using Win or Lapua brass to make sure it's set up properly.

This is not an unusual issue with any 284 based chambering when used with Lapua brass and the reamer hasn't been properly set up for Lapua brass and dies. The Smith should honestly rechamber it with a reamer that will allow you to reload it properly, any seasoned gunsmith would ask if your using Win or Lapua brass to make sure it's set up properly.
I have 3-284 cal. reamers.....All of different mfg.....All SAAMI spec,d.I have wore out 3- barrels chambered in 284 cal....each at around 1500 rnds......Resizing brass at least 4 times.
New barrel=New brass...
.Presently have 2 newer barrels on 2 different guns.... in 284 cal.
I have never had a problem with lapua or win.brass....Either gold box or blue box.....
I would take a close look at sizing die and die setting.....

I have 3-284 cal. reamers.....All of different mfg.....All SAAMI spec,d.I have wore out 3- barrels chambered in 284 cal....each at around 1500 rnds......Resizing brass at least 4 times.
New barrel=New brass...
I have never had a problem with lapua or win.brass....Either gold box or blue box.....
New barrel=New brass...
You need too load a few rounds and shoot it , if you can chamber a dummy round and close the bolt extract the case with the bolt , you are most likely good too go . Even if it feels a little snug at the bottom of the bolt throw . I have read this entire post , I stand too be corrected if wrong but I don't think you have a problem shoot it and report back .

^^^
This. Something's not adding up.
Have you recently checked your micrometer to make sure it's calibrated? I don't see any measurements you posted of your brass that should interfere with chambering.

European brass manufacturers hold their brass closer to minimum chamber dimension, typically domestic brass is .004-.005 undersize.
A chamber cut with a SAAMI spec reamer should have no problem chambering European brass.
However, if a reamer ground to a "tighter" spec for using Winchester brass were used- it would likely be too tight for Euro brass.

I'd check with the smith again to confirm it was a SAAMI spec reamer. You can also do a quick Cerrosafe chamber cast to confirm your chamber dimensions.