repeat

Re: Lazzeroni - why or why not?

Never owned a Lazz or any rifle chambered in them but I have worked with some rifles chambered in Lazz calibers.

My .02 is that the brass quality for the cost is way out of balance. Their brass is really expensive. Dont get me wrong, I am all for expensive brass as long as I get something in return like superior quality and consistency. Something the Lazz brass lacks desperately. I have seen equal and sometimes better quality from Remington and Winchester at much less cost. Reamers, cases, and data are just much more readily available for other cartridges. Also their calibers are very hard on barrels. In other words barrel and throat life are very short. All these factors have made Lazz cartridges less than desirable in the LR hunting comunity. Lazz's are good for wannabe's with too much money and pride. As impressive as the "paper" ballistics are with these calibers, when you concider all the factors, they just dont make much sense.

Probably not what you wanted to hear. Stick with what is working and what is proven. So far, it hasnt been the Lazz cartridges.

Thanks Michael for that answer.

After I asked the question I realized that I asked the same question three years ago. Wow, guess I've thought about it a lot.

It is what I did not want to hear, but I still don't know what rounds are comparable or better at that range.

I guess it does not matter as much now that I'm dialing turrets.

Just remember that "better" is a very subjective term.

There are prices to be paid for everything espescially for cartridges that have laser like trajectories. Trajectoies that flat are really over-rated. Range finders and a good reticle or turrets solves the bullet drop issues. This leaves other variables like the wind which is much harder to judge than distance. The good thing is that you dont have to shoot a barrel burner to get the minimum wind drift, just a very high BC.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.