Making a .300 Rum Repeat in an ADL action ?

locotrician

Invisible
Hello , i am building a 300 rum on a 700 ADL long action. My smith says it may or may not repeat due to the cartridge length. I see you guys using wyatts mag boxes and i wanted to know how all this works to make a gun a repeater, does material need to be machined away from the bottom of the action or is there some other type of mechanism that works with the mag boxes ?

Last edited:
The rear of the receiver magazine well needs to be milled back so the wyatts extended mag box will fit. Then the bolt stop needs to be milled back the same amount so the bolt can be pulled back clear of the mag box.

These are generally installed on BDL Rem 700s but they can be installed in an ADL but there are some special things that need to be done to make them work.

1. Since the ADL uses the small diameter front trigger guard screw, this will cause a problem because opening the mag box up for the box mag will cut into this threaded hole in the receiver. This is not a huge deal. Two receiver bolts are all that are needed to hold the barreled receiver into the stock. A short dummy screw can be epoxied into the front trigger guard screw hole and it will not be an issue.

2. More then likely, for most ADL stocks, the Wyatts mag box will be to deep for the internal magazine box chamber. There are a couple things you can do. IF your very careful, you can increase the depth of the mag cut out in teh stock. I generally do not like doing this as its not all that thick in the floor anyway. Generally, its best to grind some length off the bottom of the Wyatts mag box so that it fits in the stock. You want it to float in the stock but not be really loose. If the mag box binds between the receiver and stock, you will get accuracy problems. If the box is to loose, you can get feeding issues.

Keep in mind that this may decrease capacity. There is no way you will get three in the magazine. You probably could get two in the box. I have seen some stocks that are very slim in the belly that could only hold one extra round in the mag but that was with an ultralight stock.

Kirby Allen(50)

great info. thank you. My smith said he doesnt like removing material from the receiver and he would recommend against it.

Like Kirby said...

Your smith is unfarmiliar with the conversion if he's afraid to remove the miniscule amount of metal to fit the Wyatt box.

My RUM started as an adl 7mm Rem mag I used bdl floor plate with a wyatts box, so I could use the stock I prefered.

The area that you remove the material from is a totally non stresses area of the receiver. I assure you its 100% safe. Not sure why your smith does not want to do this, perhaps just not familiar with the conversion and if that is the case, it may be best he does not do it.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.