remy action ?

Brien

if i have say a .280factory remington and i want to make it say a 300win mag am i going to have to alter the feed rails or ramp to get it to feed right and who do we know that can acomplish this...
would it be easier to just build it on an existing magnum acion???
Brien

i would be putting a sako extractor in it so the bolt face wouldnt be what i would be worried about...just in case somebody thought i wasnt thinking about that...lol
Are you out there Kirby..???
Brien

Well, I ain't Kirby but I'll chime in here for him.
Open the bolt face to magnum dimensions, install a Sako or better yet a Badger M16 style extractor, then open up feed rails in the action. The magnums also use a different follower than the 06 cartridges, so that will need replaced also. The ejection radius in the rear bridge of the reciever may need to be opened up also.

what would you use to open the feed rails up??
i like a dremel tool..lol but is there actualy a tool used for doing this?
thanx for the replies guys... there is great help here..
but would it be a pain....is it worth it? it is a stainless action .280 and i would like to make it my carry around rifle.. i can use blued and actualy have a blued one i could use for a donar but i like the stainless better for hunting...
Brien

BTM,

The best way I know to open the feed rails is with a Milling machine and a quality solid carbide end mill. The Dremel tool may well work but I will tell you that my hands are not steady enough to make a clean cut with one. The burrs it would create would be hell to polish up as well.

THis chore is best done by a gunsmith with the correct machinery.

Why not just rebarrel to a 280 Rem AI? Trajectory wise, it would be extremely similiar to a 300 WIN, no receiver modifications and extremely easy to load for. Hell most reloading supply houses have 280 AI dies in stock ready to ship.

If your not wedded to teh 300 WIN, the 280 AI may be a much easier alternative for long range shooting and it has plenty of punch foor game up to elk size critters with proper bullet choice the 160 gr Accubonds are great in this round for big game at long or short range.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

i have thought about the 280ack. i have just never hunted with anything other than a 300mag or 7mag since i was 13.. now i know it doesnt take that to kill deer or probably most other northamerican animals its just what i am custom to ... most people say the ackley will run almost with the 7rem mag ... i just dont know yet.. heck i will probably just trade it off later anyway... I almost built one when i built my 7wsm.... i would say any mag would be pretty "lively" (got that from you Kirby..lol) in a lighter weight rifle but i figure if im going to have a long action i would rather have a mag...
Brien
what would be an achievable velocity with a 24" barrel with the ackley and a 160accubond???

BTM,

I have customers hitting 2900 to 2950 with the 160 gr Accubonds in the 280 AI in 24" pipes pretty comfortably. This is basically identical or slightly higher then many factory loads for the 7mm Rem Mag with the same bullet.

Handloaded the Mag will certainly add another 100 fps to this comfortably .

The 280 AI is a ballistic Twin to the 7mm WSM with all bullet weights.

It is a lot more round then most believe it to be. For deer, unless you are intentionally looking to hunt past 400 yards I would use the 140 gr Accubond. Would be much quicker and flatter shooting to this kind of range and more then enough terminal performance for any deer, even heavy norther whitetails and mule deer that can push well over 300 lbs on the hoof.

Just another option, as you all know, I never advise against magnum performance but I also know it is not critical to extreme range performance either.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Funny but today I just dropped off my rem700 7mm express(280) to have changed over to a 300mag. Having a sako extractor and new follower,spring and magazine. Putting a Lilja SS 1/10 twist barrel on. Brownells,Midway and Rem sells the followers,springs and magazine for those change overs. The 264mag,7mmmag and 300mag all use the same followers. You don't need to get into altering anything and runs about $60 for those parts. Well good luck.

thanx for the info guys.. i do appreciate it all.. i also happen to have a few extra springs and followers laying around from previous projects that i can try..if it works good if it doesnt i might have to take other measures..
Brien

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.