Remy rebarrel options

ukenout

I recently came across a good deal on a Rem 700 adl , 7mm mag. The prevous owner needed some quick cash and I thought I could use the action from the rifle for a rebarreling project since the original installed barrel is pretty beat up and doesn't look like it has every had a bore brush through it.
I like the 7mm mag for a hunting round, so I thought just staying with the same cartridge. I was wondering what would be a good barrel to have installed. I was thinking of going with a heavier contoured barrel and perhaps put a break on it. I would be using this for target shooting and the occasional hunt. Any suggestions?

Before you buy a new barrel, spend a lot of time with solvent and a bore brush on the current barrel. Switch between copper and powder solvent several times each session. Probably an hour a day for five days will clean out the barrel. It may be that it will shoot just great once it is clean.

After looking around this site I think it would a good project for me to do. The stock on this rifle is pretty beat up and I think the lack of care from the original owner has left the factory barrel in sad shape. I appreciate the post of cleaning it, but I'm thinking of trying to rebuild this into something I would be "proud" of.
After reading around this post I think I will just stay with the 7mm mag. I know there are so many others out there, but I like the idea of using a factory round, I reload so I can tweak up some loads in the future for this caliber.
Barrel options..... I like the Sendero contours, I think they are alittle heavier in diameter correct, this may help in making the rifle abit more manageable. I would even consider a muzzle break if anyone could recommend a good one. What other contours would be a good fit to make a good long range rifle? I've never heard of a bull barrel 7mm mag so I don't know if that is an option???
Again thanks for any suggestions you more experienced folks have to offer.

One thing to keep in mind is that opening up the BDL or ADL stock to a sendaro contour is going to leave you with very little stock left. I was contemplating the same thing with my BDL 30-06 and decided to hold off for a few years and do it right with a Russo stock eventually. If you want a good target shooting stock, give Joel Russo a hollar (he is on this site).

How much do you want to spend??? If your wanting a cheap gun I would spend some time with the barrel that`s on it now. If your want to keep it cheap but think you have to have a new barrel buy the same conture that on it now and do alittle work on the stock. If your thinking custom get a premium barrel, have a tight necked chamber put in it, have the action trued, get an after market trigger and put it in a piller bedded Mc Millen then glass bed it.

ukenout,

When you say you want one to be proud of, do you mean proud of the looks or proud of the ability to and actually making a medium to long range shot?

If looks are what you are after then uncork the piggy bank and have at it. Forget about inexpensive or cheap as one can't be proud of cheap.

If you want to be proud of the first shot LR capability then follow what Buffalobob said. You may just have the ticket already. Of the two, ADL or BDL the ADL is the better choice due to the debatable more solid stock.

Also remember that a light rifle may be shot as accurately as a heavier rifle. It just takes a better driver/pilot.

Bottom line though is go for whatever trips your trigger and have fun.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I should have tried to clarify my purpose for my project. I acquired this rifle because I wanted to give myself a project, that I could work on little at a time. I've served in the military going on 11yrs now. I worked my way from the enlisted ranks to now the officer side. Yeah I know everyone thinks the money is supposed to be good, but hey with a family I put my "wants" aside so I can provide for my wife and little girl. Pre 9/11 I was able to hunt and fish alot, I miss those days, but since then I stepped up and took on the responsibility of being a leader for a platoon of Scouts / Snipers. These young men are what makes our all volunteer Army so great, they do a job I could not explain, but am proud of them.
I want to build up a rifle that is highly functional. Looks don't mean much to me. Yea I could go and break into the bank account and go outright buy a super fancy rifle. However doing this project will allow me to relax and reflect on hunts past and hunts for the future. My brother in law works in the oil field where as you know has a big business boom, he makes great money and buys a new gun of some sort almost every paycheck, I however will have to do this slowly because Uncle Sam does not always issue our troops the gear we need. Many of us have to purchase these items out of pocket. I help some of my young Bravo 4's get their gear becaus they are not issued "sniper" gear, they either handmake things or have to purchase this stuff. Many of you know the costs of these items. To us they are not recreational items. I do this for our guys because I believe if it gives them the feeling of "advantage" then thats helping them stay motivated. I am glad I found this site and have been able to read and educate myself, I just didn't want to come across as "hey i'm a newbie, teach me how to get a super tack driver so I could impress my friends".

a leader for a platoon of Scouts / Snipers.

That is a very special assignment.

I think that it is right to put your family and job at the top of the priority list. I did not mean to be insulting to you but to merely save you money.

The two barrels that I am familiar with are the Lilja and the Spencer. Both will shoot better than 0.5 MOA. I do not really know how good they will shoot being as I am just not good enough. They are button rifled. Both have made big game kills near or beyond 1K.

There are good cut rifled barrels but I don't really have any experience with them.

UKENOUT

If you plan on using the old stock you can go with a #5 taper
with out removing to much wood.

If you want primarily a target type rifle then go with a #7 taper
select match (slightly heaver than a sendero taper) and a varmint
type stock.

The other shooters next to you will like you better if you don't
install a break and besides you wont need it with the heavy barrel.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts