Remingtonman 25 06

OKbow87

I remember that you or your father at one time had a rem 700 lss in 300 ultra. I have one of These rifles in lay-away at the moment and I am trying to decide if I want to keep it or move up to a sendero. I am hoping to devolope the skills to shoot out to a thousand yards on targets with this gun. I am planning on shooting retumbo powder and 200 AB's in nosler cases. Was there anything special that you did to your gun other than float the barrel and tweak the trigger, and how did you feel about the recoil. Would you advise having a break installed or mercury recoil reducers in the stock. Thank you in advance for you advice!

Colin

I have one and it will move you around. More than I like so I have a brake on it and bedded. shoots around 1moa @ 100. I havent got it to shoot as well as I like so its in the corner. Fits really well but dose't shoot as well as either of the sendero we own. You're pick. If it was me I would go with the sendero.

My dad still has his, I traded mine off..My main reasoning with going with the LSS was weight factor. I hunt pretty steep and deep canyons for elk/bears and didn't feel like packing around a 10LB rifle. So I went for the LSS version. I knew I would give up a little in the accuracy department, but as far as how much, I'd never know till I brought it home. The first thing I did was work the trigger down to 2.5lbs and work with some 200g SMK's over H1000. I didn't have it bedded or floated untill about 400-500 rounds were down the barrel. I also wanted to shoot the rifle from different positions to see if I needed a muzzle brake. I am 6'2 and only 145lbs so not a big guy by any means, more like a skinny little toothpick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I figured the laminated stock would soak up a little recoil, so went with the LSS version over the standard synthetic/stainless version. After shooting the rifle couple times I found it has a big push for recoil and pretty significant amount of muzzle flip. If your wanting to spot your own hits at LR, or any range for that matter, you'll be greatly served by a muzzle brake. I felt I could shoot the rifle great w/out the muzzle brake and w/out spending $200 more dollars. So I lived with the recoil and not being able to spot my own hits. Not a big deal to me as I got my dad into the game and he was my spotter. I never did let the rifle scare me either. I got scoped 3-4 times over the barrels life and that was shooting 220g bullets laying prone downhill. Absolutely no body give there, straight to the eye socket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I tried a lot of different bullets just to see what would shoot and how good. Bottom line was this rifle would shoot pretty much anything into 3/4" at 100 yards, and the loads it liked would go from .3"-.5" at 100 yards. I was pretty happy with the accuracy coming from such a big rifle in a sporter weight package. If I was going to do it again right now, I would go for the sendero as its a good platform for a semi custom rifle down the road with the stock already and what not. Since its heavier, it would kick a little less then the LSS. Accuracy wise, the sendero should shoot better due to the heavier barrel and what not. My rifle shot many 4" groups at 800 yards off the bench so I was more then happy with it. The recoil I felt was manageable, but now I would probly get a brake just for the simple fact to see my own hits, and make the rifle just a little more enjoyable to shoot. My dads rifle however is not as accurate as mine was. His rifle only shoot about 3/4"-1" at 100, but I admit I haven't played with his as much. Its kinda toss up between factory rifles as you might already know, one can shoot very good, another mediocre, while the last one just plain sucks...Hope I covered everything and good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.