Long shot in .25-06..

curtis

I have used the search function with no success, but please excuse me if this has been asked before. What are some of the longest shots some of you have made using a .25-06 for hunting? Anything from deer to prairie dog. Go ahead and brag, I am just interested in the distance capabilities of the caliber.

Old Bear shot a 9" group all the way around a chuck last summer at 1300 yards. He just couldn't quite get the group to center on the chuck because he couldn't see the chuck half the time (bad eyesight) but the caliber was very capable.
He shoots the 115 Berger VLD at 3350 or so. This combo would make it to 1 mile before going subsonic.

Richard Graves also makes some killer .257 bullets with super high bc's that would be even better!

Antelope 450yds ( I think - it has been a long time and we all know that yards will grow with time if you don't keep 'em trimmed). Used 100 gr Nosler partition and some amount of H4831. Bang, flop. Used same bullet at under 50yds on antelope with same results.

Jack rabbits - the name of the game was running shots not distance. Whacked lots of running jacks at 300yds with the 75 gr HP. It is nice and flat and fast.

Groundhogs at 450yds (even longer ago) with 75 gr HP. Ghogs are very stubborn critters and shot placement needs to be very good with any caliber you shoot (IMHO) in order to prevent them from getting to the hole. Blood trails don't count. The little 75 HP will blow around in the wind. With good shot placement the 75 will really explode on them. With marginal hits they will get to the hole. As GG says there should be no problem in getting way on out with high BC bullets because you have a decent amount of case capacity to shove powder into.

My opinion - as a 500-600 yd antelope to mule deer cartridge it is a good shooting, easy to reload cartridge. A really good long range varmint gun that will shoot further than most of us can shoot. For game teh Nosler 110 Accubond should be really fine and if I was to find a 25-06 laying on the sidewalk that is the first bullet I would try in it.

factory or custom made would be the first question? i have been shooting a .25-06 rem classic and tried 75 v-max to 120gr wildcats.current load uses 100gr smk 54.5gr,h-4831 rem brass prepped and fed match primers and 500yds in no wind 6-8" groups...as my saying goes. i got a new toy now,but would by all means go with the 110gr nosler ab as a prime choice! and 3 groundhogs at 464yds confirmed farthest.i would crack at a 500yd whitetail in no wind though as my max. keep us informed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I appreciate all the information. I am shooting a factory gun, a Savage 110FP. I am reloading and it has been a while since I have touched my gun or reloading bench because I am in Korea, but I believe I am using Remington brass, Remington Primers, 52 grains of IMR 4350 topped off with 100gr SMK. Unfortunately, I won't be able to keep you posted for a while. I have six more months here in Korea and them I move to Germany. I am still debating whether or not I want to take my guns to Germany. I think Pete Lincoln just about has me convinced to take them. Now if I can just get the wife convinced to let me give it to Pete to let him "play" with it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So reading the posts above, for deer size game the .25-06 should be kept around 500-600 yards? This, for me, is still a long ways out there. I am a newby at long range shooting and I can't wait to get back to the states and fling some lead out to these yards. I will have to try the rock shooting that I have heard about on this board. Can you tell real well when you hit a big rock? Does it put out any dust/smoke or can you just tell by the newly formed unatural mark on the rock? Like I said, I can't wait to start practicing again. Thank you all once again for your info.

Try some H4831 with cci 200 primers. Back in May, 1972 I was getting about 3600 fps with the 75HP and 0.5 groups in a custom heavy barreled gun. Of course back then I was shooting almost every evening.

And I need to withdraw the 450yds on the wood chuck, it was only 375yds according to my written notes. It is hard to remember back 33 years ago.

i saw you shoot,not long ago.you showed me how to do it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifi got my new toy back,in .30.i hope to gear it for a mifflin shoot yet this year! keep in touch!

I shot a little muley buck at 604 yards with the 115g BT. The deer went about 20 yards and flopped over. Several coyotes at 500+. I would say the 25-06 is one of the better deer getters and when using the right bullet, like the 115g BT, it will kill more deer farther than 90% of people can accurately shoot them.

1130 yrds last Saturday woodchuck. 115 Nosler Btip 52.5 H4831sc Fed215 into lands Savage 112bvss 37 moa drop 10 moa wind dialed to first shot impact second shot dead. Mine starts egging paper at 1k (1-10 twist) but apparently keep on going. 75gr give up alot to the wind. I second rem2506 and suggest go heavy Btips and don't look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.