Remington Stopped Making Brass?

Engineering101

Just checked Midway USA and they have quite a bit of brass available such as Hornady, Nosler, Norma, Lapua and even some Winchester but almost no Rem reloading brass (4 only - 223 Rem, 30-30 Win, 30 Rem AR and 6.5mm Rem Mag). Looks like a going out of business situation. When you could find it (like Winchester) it was always cheap compared to others. Looks like they priced themselves right out of the market. Anybody have any info on this?

With the ammo scare and panic buying occurring over the last eight years, my bet is that the decision was made to just produce ammo and no excess brass. Just my two cents.

Good luck

Jerry

I think alot o conclusions being jumped to. Haven't bought any remington brass, last few months, but have bought alot these last few years.

101, was at Bruno Shooters Supply last week. There was a lot of Remington brass there. I checked their website and saw just a few calibers on backorder. Good luck

Dosh

I checked Brunos on line and the most popular chamberings are listed as in stock, 30-06, 270 Win but not much else. It isn't even close to what Remington used to produce. I think I'll throw my 2 cents in with Jerry and jump to the conclusion that they are focusing on the ammo market. I have been happy to see Winchester brass on the shelf here and there after years being absent. Picked up some 308 Win Winchester brand brass at Cabela's a few weeks back. It was really cheap. Nice change from paying $2.70 apiece for 28 Nosler brass. Now days it looks like Hornady is the way to go if you don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to feed your rifles. Too bad Remington got greedy.

Remington dropping a lot of the reloading brass forced me to find alternative, now I wouldn't go back, ya I pay a little more but I don't have to sort cases, my brass last longer and I'm not fighting it so in the end I don't see why a guy would buy Rem brass or Win brass when there is so much better out there!!

Never liked Remington brass. Winchester used to be my standard choice, and was pretty good stuff, until their QC standards were noticeably downgraded.

For applications where more expensive brass, like Norma or Lapua, doesn't make sense, I prefer PRVI/PPU brass. It is at least as good as Winchester used to be, perhaps a bit better.

With the ammo scare and panic buying occurring over the last eight years, my bet is that the decision was made to just produce ammo and no excess brass. Just my two cents.

Good luck

Jerry

That is definitely the case with Federal. Brass, Primers. I've seen replenished Remington loads on the shelf so I would have the conjecture follow that.

Starling is doing 243 and 308. They said in email 30-06 is this year or next. I haven't tried alot, but they are my go to from handgun. If you order from them, 500 or 1k, price seems good to me.

I got 1500 of 44 mag, so haven't loaded enough to comment on longevity.

Been reading a lot of posts at other web sights like Marlin Owners.com and the consensus is Remington has decided to stop producing brass and bullets and eventually will get out of reloading all together.

If true it is a real shame because Remington makes great bullets and pretty good brass. Never used their primers. Glad I stocked up on Federal primers long ago.

With the availability (save a few like standard and mag Federal LRG RFL primers) of most reloading components and powders, I have been stocking up heavily, I advise all serious reloaders if they already are not to do the same.

Darton

I grew up in a time where Remington was a name to be admired (my 870 is still going strong after a bazillion rounds) so it would be a sad day indeed to see them quit making brass. Kind of like you, I'm not short any reloading components - but I sure would be if I wasn't buying at any and all opportunities. I'm starting to get a little thin on Fed 215s as I'm down to 700 where I like to stay around 2,000 but haven't been seeing these lately. Some time ago (no doubt like most of you) I started buying powder only in the 8 lb jugs. It just isn't worth the load development time not to buy in the larger lots. Had I not been doing that I would have run out of some powders.

Remington dropping a lot of the reloading brass forced me to find alternative, now I wouldn't go back, ya I pay a little more but I don't have to sort cases, my brass last longer and I'm not fighting it so in the end I don't see why a guy would buy Rem brass or Win brass when there is so much better out there!!

Plus 40!!

One of the best gone to the dogs !!! Just goes to show you what happens when Wall Street Corporate Criminals get their dirty profit and greed hands on something !!! I would even take anything from them even if it's for free !! Screw them and what they stand for, hopefully they've run it into the ground so the doors will be bolted then someone can take the remains and resurrect this great American Co...

One of the best gone to the dogs !!! Just goes to show you what happens when Wall Street Corporate Criminals get their dirty profit and greed hands on something !!! I would even take anything from them even if it's for free !! Screw them and what they stand for, hopefully they've run it into the ground so the doors will be bolted then someone can take the remains and resurrect this great American Co...

Jeez. While I'm irritated I can't buy RUM brass, I still will buy Remington. I know there are alternative sources for brass, but with the RUM, I've used Remington since 1999. Have a bunch and don't feel like changing. mtmuley

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.