remington SPS 700's ???

mrbb

Ok, I am no expert,
But does anyone know about the rem 700 SPS rifles.

are the clip systems the same as on the BDL ?CDL clips models.
I looked at a few , and to me they look different a tad!

and , I am thinking about buying one due to I want to get another 700 action, for a project..
what do you guys know about them, good /BAd
and last, can I change the clip on one to a regular bdl hinge floorplate, on a build on this action!

thanks

The CDL and the BDL will both have a BDL style hinged floorplate. I believe that these are really the only style of floorplate offered by Remington anymore unless you get a model 770 or a 700 SPS DM that both have a detachable magazine.

thanks for the imput,
but I am wondering if these SPS700's clips are the same as they used in the 700 bdls ( DM"S) that had clips!

I never owned a 700 with a clip before!

I bought a SPS today for the action more or less, would rather one that just had a floorplate.

Still looking for an answer,

anyone!!

Last edited:
I was going to do the same thing you are about to with a rem 700 sps 308 win.
But before I stripped it down to the action I threw a B&C A5 on it and could not help but to load for a few for it. At 100 it will shoot under half MOA all day and very often in the 3s and sometimes the 2s. So I just left it at that. I'm sure it was the rare lucky one but it impressed me. Although it does not clean up well takes lots of passes and one noticeable thing is accuracy really degrades after the first three shots even though it has a heavier contoured barrel, but those first three are gold. Also the stock just has a bedding block in it so something that really improved accuracy was to get action screws so tight you think thier gona strip or snap. probably not to good for the action threads or the stock but made a huge difference in accuracy and if I was smart i would just have it skim bedded.

The load is
43.8 gr of Varget
175 SMKs
OAL 2.787
Lapua brass
primer CCI-BR2

SD 3
ES 6

I wanted to get one in .308, but all they had on hand were .243's
took it out just to shoot it before i take it apart( have lots of .243 loaded)

and , my guns shoot 3/4 inch @ 100 yrds, for the first 3 shots out of a cold barrel!

after that, they all drift right, and open up past 3 inches.
wait till cold again, and first 3 will group again about under an inch, shoot 3 more, and again, open up, and drift right!

but its a donor action, so, not really worried.

anyone know about the clip issue??
is it the same clips set up they had on 700 D,'s of past?

can I change it to just a floorplate if i want to?? when I build!

no it has a clip, not a floor plate, its new this year from Rem, I think.

O Ok you have an SPS DM. Sorry don't know if they are the same clip.

I'm sure some one will chime in.

Ok, I am no expert,
But does anyone know about the rem 700 SPS rifles.

are the clip systems the same as on the BDL ?CDL clips models.
I looked at a few , and to me they look different a tad!

and , I am thinking about buying one due to I want to get another 700 action, for a project..
what do you guys know about them, good /BAd
and last, can I change the clip on one to a regular bdl hinge floorplate, on a build on this action!

thanks
Current 700's all use the same detatchable magazine. Remington 700's with detatchable mags from the factory can not be changed to BDL style. The feed rails have been removed. Feed is controlled by the lips on the detatchable mag. A 700 makes very good choice for a custom, many choices in aftermarket parts/modifications.

shortgrass
thanks for the info

so I guess I bought the wrong gun for what i want to do!

There is no way of making the sps Dm, into a regular 700 floorplate action then??

that sucks!

anyone want to buy a sps's DM in .243??? only 15 rounds through it??

You know you don't have to sell it just cause it has a detachable mag. True having the floorplate is more simpler to have, but just cause it doesn't, does not mean that is any reason to sell it. It is still a Remington 700 and like all 700's that is not going to change, so it has some different cosmetic features, so what. I am guessing you are probably wanting to get into competition shooting, well you know, hey you can only have one round in your rifle at a time so if you can open the bolt, put a round in and close the bolt and shoot what does it make a difference if it has the floorplate or the mag.

This is just my opinion.

thanks, But I am not looking to get into compitition shooting, have guns for that.

I bought this gun due to a deal I got, and just planned to shoot off some extra .243 ammo i have laying about, and then using the action for a build I have in mind. I have one rifle, I want to make a copy of!

thus the reason I want to use a floor plate on it, and not the clip

when I bought it, the deal was RIGHt now, so I didn';t have time to findout firat if i could swap the clip for bottom metal floot plate.

I did shoot the gun, 15 rouinds just to kill some time I had, and it shoots ok , but not very well when barrel gets a little hot(saw 6 rnds) its a thin barrel on it from factory!
guessing thats part of it, and this is on a Brand new barrel, so might get better after shooting some more.

but I am willing to let it go if I get a decient offer,
maybe a swap of something for it!

I really don't need just another factory rifle, as its nothing special to me. an impulse buy of sorts
i am not looking to give it away, buy will deal! any takers??
Offers??

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts