Remington Sendero II.

Deerhntr71

I was on the Remington website last night and seen they are offering the Sendero this year in 25-06 and 264 Winchester. Have been interested in getting a Sendero, and these two calibers looking interesting. Something different in this rifle. I have several 6.5 calibers, but don't hav a 25 caliber rifle. But wonder if 257 Weatherby wouldn't be better than the 25-06, so that puts me back to the 264. Would be used for deer hunting here in North Dakota.

You can't really have too many guns so I like your train of thought. Something different is a worthy endeavor. That train of thought has led me to acquire just about everything. Out of the whole bunch of rifles the best deer getter I've used to date is my 6mm Rem on a Sako short action with a Douglas barrel. It has accounted for a couple of dozen whitetail here in Washington. All were one shot kills and they were relatively close - like under 150 yards. I used 100 grain Sierra Game Kings and the bullet would usually stop on the opposite side on the ribs. The deer would tend to stumble a few yards and go down. Very little meat damage. One of them was going flat out and I hit him a little further back than I wanted but he still only made it about 60 yards. My point is any of the calibers you mentioned add quite a bit of power over the 6mm and will thus more than kill a deer. Pick the one that strikes your fancy.

I suspect North Dakota hunting provides more long shots than short shots. 264 gets my vote.

I was on the Remington website last night and seen they are offering the Sendero this year in 25-06 and 264 Winchester. Have been interested in getting a Sendero, and these two calibers looking interesting. Something different in this rifle. I have several 6.5 calibers, but don't hav a 25 caliber rifle. But wonder if 257 Weatherby wouldn't be better than the 25-06, so that puts me back to the 264. Would be used for deer hunting here in North Dakota.
They are so close in performance, I don't see how one could honestly say the .257 Wby is "better", other than strictly judging it based on a velocity comparison. There are pro's and cons to both.

Having owned both for extended periods of time, I can say they are both great cartridges, and both are excellent for deer hunting.

After shooting both side-by-side (both had 26" barrels), and after much comparison of both velocity and cartridge specs and dimensions, and case capacity vs. bullet diameter...I reached the conclusion that (personally) I prefer the .25-06 AI. To me, it is just a smoother shooting, milder recoiling cartridge, and it does not have as much muzzle blast, brass is cheap and readily available, and the average velocity differences I saw were within 100 fps of each other.

My final thoughts on them, I don't think any animal shot with them is going to notice the difference between 3,300 and 3,400 fps when that bullet hits its mark. :cool:

I tried to look at this for myself but for some reason I am having trouble with the Rem site.
Did Rem stay with the 1-9 twist for the 264 or did they wise up and offer a 1-8? Sure would be nice to take advantage of the heavier bullets, something you can't do with a 25.

They stayed with the 1 in 9 twist, that had me wondering too. I think 1 in 8 would have been better, that is one reason I may lean toward the 25-06.

They stayed with the 1 in 9 twist, that had me wondering too. I think 1 in 8 would have been better, that is one reason I may lean toward the 25-06.

Ruger and others have started paying attention to the need of faster twist for the new long range bullets, Rem is stuck in the 90's I guess. Just read an article on their excellent 22-250 CDL fluted, excellent except they still have a 1-12, WHY ?

Deerhtnr- send me your e-mail. in can send you picks of the coues deer my brother shot at 623 yards with his .264 mag sendero. awesome. or i can send you pics of the coues my son-inlaw shot with a 25-06 sendero at 417 yards. i like the .264 better , especially for mule deer.

the 9t .264 may shoot 140's . but for sure 136 scenar, 130 accubond, 130 norma, 130 berger, 123 scenar.

The 264 would get my vote as well even if you are using only 130's. The 130 will be a lot better and buck the wind better then than the 115's or the 110's. Now if there was a 130 25cal that might be a good load. Also the 7mm rem mag brass can be necked down to the 6.5.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.