Sendero II Bedding

asfornea

I have a Sendero II in 300rum. The problem I am having is vertical stringing and then the occasional flyer. One gunsmith said I need to bed the firt two inches of the barrel. I'm leaving on a trip next week, so he said a quick fix was to fold up a business card and slide in between barrel and stock tip and leave it there, thus applying pressure to the barrel. What do you guys think of this? I was always under the impression that the barrel should not be in contact with anything

Bedding the first 2 inches of the barrel is one procedure that MAY work in eliminating your vertical stringing. Going to the range and trying the business card trick is definately a cheap way to diagnose a potential problem. If the business card trick works I would be more likely to bed a "pad" under the barrel near the front of the stock. As good as the HS Precison stocks are, they still need to be machined with a few thousandths of tolerance to allow for tolerance variances in the Reminton actions. So I would first recommend a bedding over the aluminum bedding block in the stock to see if that dosen't take care of your problem. I would only bed the barrel as a last resort on a rifle like the Sendero that comes with a moderately heavy barrel.
Lastly, check all the other issues that can cause this kind of stringing. Loose action bolts, loose scope mounts, etc...
Good luck!

Once I bedded my sendero action my groups tightened up and became more consistent. Half MOA for a 3-400 yards. I used devcon steel. Lug on back.

The problem I saw with my Sendero and the aluminum bedding block is,the recoil lug has no reference.The channel appears to be cut oversized,leaving the base of the action doing all the work without the help of the recoil lug.You can tell this is happening because when you put the stock on,the barreled action wants to roll.I corrected this problem with mine by bedding only the recoil lug.I've got as good as .179 three shot groups @ a 100yds out of my 7mag. using this method.I use 5 minute epoxy and a shoe wax as a release agent.I bed all my rifles this way and they all get excellent groups.

The problem I saw with my Sendero and the aluminum bedding block is,the recoil lug has no reference.The channel appears to be cut oversized,leaving the base of the action doing all the work without the help of the recoil lug.You can tell this is happening because when you put the stock on,the barreled action wants to roll.I corrected this problem with mine by bedding only the recoil lug.I've got as good as .179 three shot groups @ a 100yds out of my 7mag. using this method.I use 5 minute epoxy and a shoe wax as a release agent.I bed all my rifles this way and they all get excellent groups.

This is very interesting. Can you explain the process a little more? Exactly how much do you bed and do you hog out any material? Do you set the action back in the stock and tighten down the action screws?

Thanks,

Mark

The lug channel on those stocks seem to be quite large anyway,so I see no need to remove any material.In fact I don't remove any material on my wood stocks either.Just put release agent on the metal around area of contact,fill lug channel 1/2 full of epoxy,put rifle back together and tighten action screws till snug.I've been doing this to my rifles for fifteen years,it's easy and it works.

I've got a rifle I plan to do sometimes this week.I'll take some pictures and post them when I do.

Well I finally got a day off and got around to bedding my Remington 700 6mm.I haven't shot the rifle in a couple of years and when I took her to the range,she wouldn't shoot worth a darn.I noticed my free floating barrel was not floating anymore.This rifle has not had any work done on it before,so today I performed the simple the bedding job I've done to all my rifles and they are tight shooters,just check my previous posting in this thread.When I removed the barreled action from the stock,I saw that whatever oil had been used on the rifle had reacted to the varnish inside the barrel channel of the stock.I also saw some bluing wear on the barrel where it was making contact with the stock.I removed the bad varnish and sanded off the high spots in the barrel channel.I mixed up a small batch of 5 Min. epoxy and wiped some on the sanded area using my hand in a nitrile glove to seal the sanded area.I also noticed only about half the recoil lug was making contact in the back of the lug channel of the stock.I knew this would be fixed when I put the epoxy in the channel.I put some Snow Seal on the recoil lug of the rifle as a releasing agent,mixed up a batch of 6 Min. Epoxy Gel,filled the lug channel half way with the epoxy and assembled the rifle and left it in a horizontal resting position while the epoxy cures.Here's the photos of the operation.Rem 700 Beading 001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flickr: baldhunter's Photostream
Rem 700 Beading 008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Well I finally got a day off and got around to bedding my Remington 700 6mm.I haven't shot the rifle in a couple of years and when I took her to the range,she wouldn't shoot worth a darn.I noticed my free floating barrel was not floating anymore.This rifle has not had any work done on it before,so today I performed the simple the bedding job I've done to all my rifles and they are tight shooters,just check my previous posting in this thread.When I removed the barreled action from the stock,I saw that whatever oil had been used on the rifle had reacted to the varnish inside the barrel channel of the stock.I also saw some bluing wear on the barrel where it was making contact with the stock.I removed the bad varnish and sanded off the high spots in the barrel channel.I mixed up a small batch of 5 Min. epoxy and wiped some on the sanded area using my hand in a nitrile glove to seal the sanded area.I also noticed only about half the recoil lug was making contact in the back of the lug channel of the stock.I knew this would be fixed when I put the epoxy in the channel.I put some Snow Seal on the recoil lug of the rifle as a releasing agent,mixed up a batch of 6 Min. Epoxy Gel,filled the lug channel half way with the epoxy and assembled the rifle and left it in a horizontal resting position while the epoxy cures.Here's the photos of the operation.Rem 700 Beading 001 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Beading 007 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flickr: baldhunter's Photostream
Rem 700 Beading 008 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 004 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 003 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 005 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Rem 700 Bedding 006 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Those are good pics, thanks for sharing. Couple of questions...

I've heard it's good to leave a space in front of the recoil lug... do you completely encase the the lug?

It doesn't lokk like you get any of the epoxy into the receiver channel (bed) of the stock?

Is this the same way you bed the Sendero recoil lugs?

I f you wanted to put in a larger custom recoil lug later on, could you hog out the epoxy and redo it?

Those are good pics, thanks for sharing. Couple of questions...

I've heard it's good to leave a space in front of the recoil lug... do you completely encase the the lug?

It doesn't lokk like you get any of the epoxy into the receiver channel (bed) of the stock?

Is this the same way you bed the Sendero recoil lugs?

I f you wanted to put in a larger custom recoil lug later on, could you hog out the epoxy and redo it?
Lug is encased.Does not seem to affect it.
Epoxy was wiped on bare wood after sanding.Barrel is free floated.
Yes I bed all my rifles this way.
And yes you can pop the epoxy out fairly easy with a screw driver and a little work.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.