Remington might be in trouble ...

I worked in a gun shop for nearly 30 years. Back in the 80's and 90's Remington was it if you wanted accuracy. About 2 years ago we had 2 new rems come in that weren't chambered. How did they pass inspection? I hope come out ok but its a bed they made.

Remington went downhill when it became a corporate holding rather than a gunmaker. It is the same old story of a business being bought by large corporation then quality goes down while cash flow to the parent company goes up.

You hit it right on the head with that.

AMF did exactly the same thing with Harley Davidson in the 70's. When AMF was finally bought out, the quality was so poor that practically nobody was buying their bikes.
After the buyout, quality went back up and sales took off.

That's what needs to happen with Remington, too.
Like so many have posted already- put out a quality gun and folks will buy them.
I love my old Remingtons but haven't bought a new one in years because of their recent reputation for low quality.

While I agree that Remington has been loosing market share for quite some time for many of the reasons described, I wonder how many other firearms manufacturers are struggling. The primary reason for Remington's default is driven by cash flow problems and being unable to service their debt.......due to an un-anticipated drop in demand......resulting in excess inventory. Beihind the issue It appears that the sales boom in the entire firearms industry has been driven by the political environment, more specifically, the fear that gun ownership would be negatively effected. Take a look at the background check stats(attached) that have been going through the roof from when it was first realized that Obama had a good chance of being elected, through his Presidency, and continued when all thought that Clinton was going to win. This was an artificial market surge that was stimulated by fear. This fear was put in check when Trump won the election, not only bringing demand rates down, perhaps even driving it in an opposite direction since people bought an excess of firearms. The irony is that in a world where Trump has been blamed for everything from climate change to depression, the Remington issues are being blamed on him as well by the political morons. IMO, it will take some time for the entire firearms industry to stabilize....at least for the next 3-7 years......when the politest environment stirs things up again. IMO.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...fault-americans-buy-fewer-firearms-post-obama

Plus many a company has raised production, bought new equipment and machines, and built new plants in order to fill huge orders from Walmart. When demand slows Walmart is off to the next hot thing. Said company is left hanging in the wind with big debt, over production, and high inventories. A prescription for bankruptcy.

I find this a great buying opportunity. I am hoping for more huge rebates, starting after Christmas. There were some crazy good deals this last fall, with $150.00 rebates, and retailers dumping excess inventory with additional $150.00 to $200.00 plus in store discounts. Then add in points back with some credit cards....Woow'zer

Rebates are good and everyone likes a good rebate on a quality item. The problem is the lack of Quality on the current Rifles built by Remington. 200.00 off on a gun that might not shoot isn't a great buying opportunity.
I find this a great buying opportunity. I am hoping for more huge rebates, starting after Christmas. There were some crazy good deals this last fall, with $150.00 rebates, and retailers dumping excess inventory with additional $150.00 to $200.00 plus in store discounts. Then add in points back with some credit cards....Woow'zer

Rebates are good and everyone likes a good rebate on a quality item. The problem is the lack of Quality on the current Rifles built by Remington. 200.00 off on a gun that might not shoot isn't a great buying opportunity.

If that was true across their "WHOLE" product line, I would agree with you. I hear a lot of reports of buyers of the high end ($800.00 to $1,200.00) model 700 platform rifles, especially the 5R rifles producing good results. To be fair, I also hear of people buying $4,000.00 rifles that don't meet their expectation.

I think a lot of this rifle stuff is where people have set the "Bar" for expectations. It is a lot like Alaska trophy hunts, people read so much about 40" Dall Sheep, they come and that is their minimum expectation. I have had so many Brown Bear hunters show up expecting that a 10' bear is what they hear most hunters harvest. It is easy reading forums like this to expect 1/4 or 3/8 MOA, and they are disappointed if they only get 3/4 or 7/8 MOA. Just my silly opinion.

Last edited:
Lessee...
1. lousy trigger on 700 series - and sometimes unsafe (many lawsuits on that trigger)
2. still using cheapest extractor and one-piece 2 lug bolt
3. late to compete with Ruger's Precision Rifle
4. lack of funding for refinement of modular assault rifle to compete with SCAR
5. failure to fix the easy-to-jam 760 pump shotgun (Mossberg 500 is a far better design inboxed this respect.)

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts