Remington Build

Montanasloth

I'm looking into building a lightweight 700 long action. So far I am thinking get a 700 adl stainless and getting a Bell and Carlson Alaskan stock for it having it bedded and getting a harris ultralight for it, hopefully having a tack driver out to around 600 yards. This build probably wont happen super fast but I would like to keep it as kind of a budget rifle, just to see how building a semi- custom goes. I haven't ruled out cerakoting the action and barrel which could lead me to a blued action. I'm thinking a 7mm rem mag and hoping I could get the rifle around 8-8.5 lbs scoped and with a bipod. Am I thinking in the right direction or am I under achieving here? Any thoughts or ideas about this would be greatly appreciated.

You've got the right idea. For 600 yards and under you may consider a .270, .280 or .280 AI. You could use a shorter barrel which means more weight savings. A 22" .280 would be hard to beat for a light weight deer gun out to 600. It would even do 800 no problem. The magnums are nice for reaching way out there but you need more barrel to take advantage of the larger case. More powder, more recoil, more barrel...none of these are good for a mountain gun. Take a look at the Rem 700 Mountain SS, it's configured pretty nicely. You could copy its setup with your semi-custom and end up right at 6.5 lbs. Put on a Leupold VX-3 and some Talley aluminum mounts and you'll be under 8 lbs.

You could just buy one of the 700 Mountain SS rifles and see how it shoots. If it's not good enough you could put a new barrel on it. I don't know how much you can get an ADL for but the Mountain SS goes for around $825 on gunbroker and includes the B&C stock.

I have a 270 already so looking for something a little larger if a longer shot presents itself on elk, I haven't ruled out a 300 win but a 7mm would be nice so that when my kids are old enough I can still shoot deer without completely toasting an entire quarter. I also wonder how a tikka t3 would work for this idea. I want something I can take anywhere in any condition. The two rifles I have are from both my grandfathers so I don't want to do anything other than pass them down when the time is right. A mountain rifle would be nice a fella we hunt with has a 280 mountain rifle and the thing drives tacks. Also I have dreams of hunting moose and while a 270 or my 06 would do just fine, its an excuse to give my wife to buy another rifle.

If you'll be chasing elk with this rifle I would absolutely go with a .300 WM. You can use lighter bullets (168s or 180s) for softer recoil, for deer, or for target shooting. Put a little muzzle brake on there and you can shoot all day from the bench comfortably. You also have the ability to step up to 200 grain or larger bullets that will be much better suited for long range elk.

Any of the magnum calibers in a light weight rifle are going to kick hard. I would plan on using a brake, at least for load development and target shooting.

Versus a 700 look at either a Forbes rifle so a colt light rifle for $600.
You can send it back to Melvin Forbes and have his stock and a couple key mods for about $600-700 and have a better rifle. 4 colt light rifles are for sale on 24 hour Campfire now. THEY Run About $600 or under

I will have to look into the Forbes rifles a little more. The 300 win or variety of other 300's have always intrigued me, but the 7mm is appealing on many levels, I will most likely end up with both, just need to decide what configuration i want each in I suppose. First world problems right?

I'd go ahead with the 7 Rem Mag. It is a "jack of all trades" and brass & bullets are always available. Go with blue-printed 700 action and 26' barrel put together by a good smith and your first venture will do you proud. Should easily meet your weight requirements. Good Luck.

I recommend the tikka. They are very light and very accurate. Factory stocks are okay, but I'd order a steep recoil lug to replace the aluminum one. They have several upgrades that you would have to pay for on a Remington.

the tikka is another option that I have been thinking about pretty heavily, I like the way they feel when shouldered and they are fairly light as it is, but there is something appealing about going with a 700 just for the availability of parts. first world problems I suppose.

I agree Montana. There is something more exciting about a premium barrel on an action with choices vs a limited box gun. I have a tikka, its a shooter but a few things absolutely suck about it. 1. I'm not a fan of the box mag. 2. The twist rate is slow limiting bullet and game options. 3. I wished it had a traditional lug on it. Otherwise the action is like glass the trigger is crisp and the janky stock isn't a complete waste. If you wanted a straight factory gun sure, but you clearly stated "build" and there is nothing to really build on a tikka.

I'd stick to your original plan. Depending on budget consider DIY bedding job on the tupperware stock and see how it shoots, if it shoots paint it or hydro dip it. The adl config will save you weight and money but may leave you needing extra room for heavies, but if memory serves me correctly you may have just enough room for a 7mag+heavy bullet in the well. As time and opportunity allows I'd start adding parts.. a manners eh or mcm edge.. blue print...ptg bolt... barrel.. jewell.

that's definitely one of the reasons I wanted to go with the Remington, first things would be a stock and bedding it (not a big fan of the factory stocks on these rifles), work the trigger, and get a Leupold for it. after that I would be looking into a new barrel and probably a fluted bolt. So many decisions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.