Remington 788 Build

When talking to my gunsmith he did mention to me about changing over to one of those 2 cartridges if I want too. I have all the stuff for 243 so I am not going to change over though.

Well I quite screwing with the gun as is. It went to my gunsmith yesterday and is getting a new 1 in 8 twist, ss, 24", #3 contour barrel with brake. Will be bedded and floated. Hopefully will be done in a few weeks. I almost went with it being chambered in 243 Ackley but figured at some point I could have it reamed in the future if I still wanted to.

He is going to take a look at it and let me know how we should proceed after the old barrel comes off and he can thoroughly check out the action.

morning, amazing, seems like everybody forgets
about the 6mm rem. AI. this is an amazing
cartridge. justme gbot tum
The 6mm Rem. Requires a medium action, and I am assuming that with the OP's rifle being chambered in 243 Win. that his rifle is a short action. Making it too short for the 6mm.

While the 788 was available in several action lengths, the 6mm Rem was chambered in the short action same as the .308 Win. Remington only has the long action and short action and Remington chose the short action. Remington continued this stupidity right up through the release of the M700 Classic in 6mm Rem. The 6mm Rem. Is actually an intermediate cartridge from the 7x57 Mauser family of cartridges. Original Mausers were intermediate length actions so by history you can choose a current manufacturer who offers an intermediate length action for a perfect fit.

788 long action not to be confused with an actual long action.

788 long action = 308, 243, 6mm, 7mm-08

788 short action = 44 magnum, 223, 222, and I think 30-30 as well.

A friend had that issue ordering a Boyd's stock for his. He naturally ordered a short action stock since his was a 308, only to find it wouldn't fit.

788 long action not to be confused with an actual long action.

788 long action = 308, 243, 6mm, 7mm-08

788 short action = 44 magnum, 223, 222, and I think 30-30 as well.

A friend had that issue ordering a Boyd's stock for his. He naturally ordered a short action stock since his was a 308, only to find it wouldn't fit.

I am getting a Boyd stock for my 308 788. Will remember that tidbit of info on LA 308. I also have a 222 788 that I never shot.

Well just got the call today. My gun will be ready to pick up on Monday. I'll post some pictures of the progression of the rifle when I get it home.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.