Rem Model 788 build

chas3stix

I have an old Remmington Model 788 that needs re-barreling. It has a badly pitted barrel that is 30 caliber. Is it worth re-barreling? I'm no fan of .308 Win round....maybe a 260 Rem or 7-08? Or would I be better off starting from scratch?

Sure it is! It's a weird action with less than optimum bolt recoil lug configuration. All the ones I've known of shot lights out. Especially in 22-250. Plus it has a great lock time.

788 are great little actions, my hunting partner has on in .223, really shoots great. I have heard "through the grapevine" that with the recoil lugs in the rear, the actions can possibly stretch? I have never seen this personally.....

Rebarrel that 788, & enjoy a classic piece of Remington history.

the one downfall of the 788 is the rear locking bolt, but on the otherhand the action is known to be stronger in design than the 700. It has the fastest lock time out there for any production rifle. They seem to be harder to bed right, and really need a better stock. Another problem with the 788 is the front half of the bolt assembly. If you can tighten it up; it will seriously improve your groups size. I know of one that still has a factory .308 barrel (the short one at that), and shoots in the high fours. I've seen a rebuilt one that was chambered in .243AI, that would shoot .250" groups.
gary

i was gonna rebarrel a 308 one to 22-250 but absolutely could not get the action apart from the barrel. i believe that remington must have pulled the threads, but it shot great! i finally traded it off but kinda miss it, shot my first 4 deer with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.