Remington 778 in .243 Winchester for coyote hunting......

mic214

I just traded into a Rem 788 in .243 from a hunting buddy of mine. Anyone know anything about these rifles? It has a 22" barrel and came with a Simmons 2.5x10x50 scope and two mags. The stock and action appear to be in great shape and the bore is very clean and sharp looking. There is a little wear in the blueing towards the muzzle.

I am planning on using it for coyote hunting out at the ranch, so I would be curious to know what would be the proper loads for that? From what little research I have done on these rifles, they are supposed to be fairly accurate for a bare bones "Budget" rifle.

mic, you have found a treasured old old rifle. And the one you have there looks to be in exceptional condition. To find one of these 788's in a 243 is very very rare. I was at a gun show just yesterday and spotted one, also very good condition in 243 and the seller wanted $750. for it, no scope. He may be high, but to find one in a 243! I have only seen 2 of them in my hole life. I have a 788 in 223 that I use for for coyotes, rock chucks, other small work that need accuracy. I put a little work into it, bedded in a good stock, Cerakoted and wearing a Nikon M 223 4x16 and a Timney trigger. You send it right and it hits it every time. A 788 in 243 can be a 500+ yards coyote killer. The Remington 788's were known for and are now sought after for their tack driving accuracy. Take look at the unique bolt lugs at the rear of the action. They have lousy triggers, but Timney makes a great replacement trigger assembly you can get from Brownell, here is the link http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...remington-788-trigger-w-safety-prod25059.aspx

Tumbleweed 7mmstw, aim small miss smallgun)

Thanks!

Due to the weather, I haven't had a chance to get out to the range with it as yet. Also, the supply of .243 ammo in these parts is pretty sparse. I was able to score a couple of boxes of Federal 100 grain Sp's from Walmart, so I am going to get it sighted in with those.

I also picked up a new set of RCBS loading dies from a member on another board, so I will be able to load my own ammo for it now....:)

SIERRIAS # (1530) 85GR BTHP AND A JUG OF H-414 AND U CAN KILL PREDATORS TO DEER NO PROBLEM gun)

You will love that rifle, mine like H4831sc and 95BT or 105 Amax. It also has 22 inch bbl. Both my kids learned to shoot with this rifle it is very accurate. I dont believe I will ever be getting rid of it.

Mic214 the 788 is a horrible cheap gun. I'll come buy it from you so you don't have to deal with it! Haha! All joking aside, my dad had 3 of them in 22-250. Tack drivers. Coyote hunting buddy of mine carries one in 243. Hard on hides if you are skinning but shoots straight

Congrats Very Nice ,now smoke a pack of coyotes per week ,then rebarrel same caliber gun)gun)gun) give all dirt napes ,well said TumbleweedSTW ,regards n show us the pics ,jjmp

788's are fantastic. My Dad has one in 22-250 that he uses for groundhogs on the farm. It's a deadly gun with factory ammo. I've been considering buying one myself

Just waiting for the weather to clear, so I can get out and shoot this baby......We got close to 2 feet of snow last night and it is still coming down!

The info looks rite But that's a Md 722 or721 in the picture not, Rem788 gun)gun)gun)

Everything I've found on 788's say that they have 18 1/2 inch barrels. That length would be horrible for 243 velocity

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.