Remington 721

longrangehunter

I have an old Remington 721 in .270. I was thinking about having this gun tuned up and rebarreled and was wondering if it would be worth it. Not sure if the 721 actions are worth using. I assume that remington 700 barrels work. Also, need ideas for a good caliber that would work with this action.

confused.gif

Hello

The 721 is one of the MOST desired actions in the Remington line.

The bolt face of your 270 can be taken out to standard magnum configurations and just about any caliber will work with these actions. They are one of the BEST Remington ever made.

If you don't want it, I would be glad to buy it from you.

Darryl Cassel

I'll be keeping this one as it was my Grandfathers. He never used a scope in his life, but took many deer. He was half indian. I also took my first Elk with this rifle.

I didn't know the bolt could be modified for any caliber; that really opens up my
options.

OK, 3 follow up questions:

1. How large of a barrel can I use without going to a block (diameter and length)?

2. Can I use a Remington 700 stock?

3. Need a gunsmith recommendation. Nice work for a reasonable price.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]

Longrangehunter:
I've seen a lot of NBRSA HV 30" barrels on 700/721s w/o a block. If you go to a magnum caliber you will have to have the bolt face and extractor reworked. A 700 stock will work but will have a couple of minor problems.

#1----30" tapored to .950" at the muzzle would be nice.

#2----A Remington Varmint stock would work real nice. Yes, a 721 can be fitted into a 700 stock.

#3----Ray Romain will do it. 814-265-1948

The 721 is my favorite action. I have 2 rifles built on them and they work flawlessly. Just have it blue printed and it will serve you well. I take the bolts and jewel them, really makes them look sharp.

Darryl check the local pawn shops for a 721. I found one with a redfield scope in 30-06 for $250.00. What magnum caliber would you suggest it be opened to? Really would like to try the 408 but, know that it's too long.

Driving to the target.

Texas

The 408 is out of the question.

Have the bolt fact taken out to a standard magnum such as the 300 Weatherby.
That way you can have a 300 RUM or 300 Tomahawk chambering put on with a new barrel.

Darryl

Hello

The 721 is one of the MOST desired actions in the Remington line.

The bolt face of your 270 can be taken out to standard magnum configurations and just about any caliber will work with these actions. They are one of the BEST Remington ever made.

If you don't want it, I would be glad to buy it from you.

Darryl Cassel

721s are NOT a drop-in for 700 stock. The area around the safety lever is different and the bolt handle is straight. not swept like a 700 is. These are old production. The new CNC made are much straighter, overall. I have not handled a 700 made since the Roundhill Group acquired RemArms, but I understand even the extraction timing problem has been addressed. If you use a 721 for a build, expect to pay more because of the needed modifications, unless of course the metal is going into hand fitted wood. And, as noted above, replacement extractors are rare. Having an M16 style installed would be my best suggestion. Using an obsolete action for a modern build would be my last choice.

I'll be keeping this one as it was my Grandfathers. He never used a scope in his life, but took many deer. He was half indian. I also took my first Elk with this rifle.

I didn't know the bolt could be modified for any caliber; that really opens up my
options.

OK, 3 follow up questions:

1. How large of a barrel can I use without going to a block (diameter and length)?

2. Can I use a Remington 700 stock?

3. Need a gunsmith recommendation. Nice work for a reasonable price.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]
Question is it a 721or a722 in my research on my own 721 . The 721 was the 06 and 722 was the 270 . Both are identical one is 06 and the other is 270 just my 2 cents both are fabulous receiver's

Recent Posts