Remington 721

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by longrangehunter, Feb 9, 2002.

1. longrangehunter

longrangehunter Well-Known Member

I have an old Remington 721 in .270. I was thinking about having this gun tuned up and rebarreled and was wondering if it would be worth it. Not sure if the 721 actions are worth using. I assume that remington 700 barrels work. Also, need ideas for a good caliber that would work with this action.

[​IMG]

2. Darryl Cassel

Darryl Cassel Well-Known Member

Hello

The 721 is one of the MOST desired actions in the Remington line.

The bolt face of your 270 can be taken out to standard magnum configurations and just about any caliber will work with these actions. They are one of the BEST Remington ever made.

If you don't want it, I would be glad to buy it from you.

Darryl Cassel

3. longrangehunter

longrangehunter Well-Known Member

I'll be keeping this one as it was my Grandfathers. He never used a scope in his life, but took many deer. He was half indian. I also took my first Elk with this rifle.

I didn't know the bolt could be modified for any caliber; that really opens up my
    options.

OK, 3 follow up questions:

1. How large of a barrel can I use without going to a block (diameter and length)?

2. Can I use a Remington 700 stock?

3. Need a gunsmith recommendation. Nice work for a reasonable price.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: longrangehunter ]

4. 308 Hawg

308 Hawg Well-Known Member

Longrangehunter:
    I've seen a lot of NBRSA HV 30" barrels on 700/721s w/o a block. If you go to a magnum caliber you will have to have the bolt face and extractor reworked. A 700 stock will work but will have a couple of minor problems.

5. Darryl Cassel

#1----30" tapored to .950" at the muzzle would be nice.

#2----A Remington Varmint stock would work real nice. Yes, a 721 can be fitted into a 700 stock.

#3----Ray Romain will do it. 814-265-1948

6. ready_on_the_right

ready_on_the_right Member

Darryl their is a 721 action for sale on accuratereloading.com on page 2 of the classifieds.

Mike

7. PrimeTime

PrimeTime Well-Known Member

The 721 is my favorite action. I have 2 rifles built on them and they work flawlessly. Just have it blue printed and it will serve you well. I take the bolts and jewel them, really makes them look sharp.

8. texas

texas Well-Known Member

Darryl check the local pawn shops for a 721. I found one with a redfield scope in 30-06 for $250.00. What magnum caliber would you suggest it be opened to? Really would like to try the 408 but, know that it's too long.

Driving to the target.

9. Darryl Cassel

Texas

The 408 is out of the question.

Have the bolt fact taken out to a standard magnum such as the 300 Weatherby.
    That way you can have a 300 RUM or 300 Tomahawk chambering put on with a new barrel.

Darryl