Remington 700 vsf. Thoughts??

final

G'day,
I'm only new to this site and the last time i picked up a rifle was about 12yr ago (.22&12g shotgun)but I want to get into long range hunting and target shooting between 500-1000m. Ive been looking at a few rifles and I dont mind the rem 700vsf .308 with 26" barrel. Anyone have any thoughts on this rifle and the kind of scope to match? Thanks.

Klem, Remington makes excellent rifles. The Remington VSF is a good rifle. Also, look at the Remington VLS. It is a little cheaper that the VSF, probably because it has the Laminated stock instead of the H&S synthetic. Also, I believe the VLS is more accurate, out of the box, than the VSF. If you ever plan to build a custom rig, the Remington action will allow you to build an awsome custome gun down the road. Furthermore, take a look at the Savage 12BVSS, I have been reading and hearing that it is the most accurate, out of box, shooting rifle at the present time.

If you can spend the money, go with one of the Nightforce NXS models. My second choice would be a Leuplod.

Good Luck
Wildcat

klemm, look on gunsamerica for a guy selling the 12BVSS. His comapny's name is Wilson and associates, he always has the lowest prices(as far as I could tell anyways) here: (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976525224.htm) is a link to one in .300WSM, I had one of these and shot the barrel out lol. I slapped a Leupold VX-II 6-18x40 on mine, and it would hold consistant .4 inch groups at 100, and 1.7-2 inches at 500. I found the scope used for $325, and including my mounts, .300WSM reloading stuff, harris bipod,and sling, I had just a hair over $1100 in it. just thought I'd chime in... sharpshooter out.

i love my reming ton 700. it started its life out as a lefthanded 30.06 but i have converted it into a 300 rum. picked up a new sendero barrel cheap and had it iaccurized and installed. i just love it great gun.

I just got a 700 VSSF II and love it. The first time I actually sat down and shot a group, it shot .31" groups using factory ammo.

The 700 is the most accurate gun to start off with once you get the trigger fixed.

Lemm, I am not sure what is available to you in your neck of the woods. I recently purchase a 700 Police model. They are difficult to find as they are run twice a year at the factory. The main difference is the HS Precision stock that provides a bench rest feel (nice palm swell). The other feature that appeals is the full 26" barrel. My is chambered for .308 and wow what a tack driver (factory ammo to this point). My groups are one clover leaf hole.

I had a VS SF II in .204 which only provided average groups.

I have 2 Rem 700 VSSF's . One in 308 and one in 223. I can't tell you enough good things about them. They are very accurate for a off the shelf rifle. They both shoot sub MOA with quality factory ammo at 100 yds. And with good hand loads shoot MOA at 200 yards and beyond. Don't ask me about the hand loads though. I don't reload, my friend does,and he came up with a very nice load for both of these guns. The only down side is the trigger(they are terrible!!) So either plan on doing a trigger job(I did) or replace it with a good quality aftermarket trigger. I hope this helps you make your decision. take care Mate

Hi from another southener. Casn't claim to have the rigorous expereince as many here - However I have been very happy with my remmington

The first rifle I shot seriously is a Remmington 700 VS in .223rem - with H&K stock. I love it with remmington accutips factory loads I have taken rabbits out to 450m and even there the only inaccuracy I could detect was in me.

I now have bough a much more expensive lighter rifle for doing the long distance walk/varminting I do - but for pure accuracy I would still go back to the remmington. I have trazded other rifles but have kept the remmington.

Another advantage is theat here, where gunsmiths are hard to come by, everyone can work on Remmingtons and tune them quickly and easily. Though all I needed for the field work I do was to have the trigger lightened

Hoepfully you are having fun as you "shop"

I think you will like the Rem 700 alot. I have several of them myself & I am always looking for my next one. The trigger will probably have to be adjusted but I think that you will be pleased with the overall accuracy out of the box.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.