Starting a semi-custom on a remington action....thoughts

Bigeclipse

All,
I currently have a Remington 700 stainless in a sporter B and C stock with timney trigger. The barrel is a pencil thin barrel and does ok for groups. It averages 1.25inches at 100 yards. This rifle was never meant to be a long range rifle and I still don't want it to be but im bored, have some extra cash so I figured I might just rebarrel it. It is currently a 3006. I want to keep the rifle light since it is a back packing hunting rifle and will never see shots past 300-400 yards (95% shots will be under 200 yards). I don't need any ultra expensive barrel but don't want cheap less accurate. I would like a barrel that can do consistent 3 shot groups at 1MOA or under and is light so do not want a varmint contour or anything near that thick. This will be a deer rifle but if a black bear stepped out id shoot it. I like 3006 but do not need to stay with it. Even though I am a hand loader I do not want any wild cat chamberings. I do like bigger holes and the smallest id go would be in the 284/7mm chamberings. I am open to any and all thoughts on where to send my rifle for rebarreling. Should I get it blue printed as well? What kind of costs can I be looking at? and should I stick with 3006 or change to something else? Thanks!

What caliber is your choice. 30-06 is great, as is the 280. Can't go wrong with either.

I have a Krieger barrel. These are outstanding barrels with a great reputation. Many top shooters use Krieger barrels.
Check out their web site for prices and options and call them if you have questions.
My M700/Krieger shoots extremely well and I am very happy with my dealings with Krieger. Just remember, don't be in a hurry because there can be wait times of several weeks up to a few months.

You can send your barrelled action to them and they will true/blue print the action and bolt, and install the barrel in whatever contour you choose.
Yes, if you rebarrel, get the action / bolt blue printed.

There several other high quality barrel makers to choose from, but I highly recommend Krieger. If you are going to rebarrel, do it right and make your barrel choice based on quality and track record rather than a discount price. With barrels, just like most other things, you get what you pay for.

Good Luck

I bought my Dad a M700 CDL in 30-06 about 4 years ago. That thing will shoot 165 grain Accubonds into tiny little cloverleafs at 100 yards. The only thing I changed on it for him was the trigger. It's not bedded either.

Hard to go wrong with a 30-06. If you want to rebarrel it, I'd take it to a local gunsmith and tell them what you want.

338-06AI shoot Barnes 160 or 180s. Or put in some 250s or 225s for some serious thump.

There are at least half a dozen barrel makers who can give you what you are looking for.

At the top of that list for me would be Benchmark and Krieger.

I would certainly have the action trued which can be done by some of the barrel companies including Benchmark at a very reasonable cost and do the work of fitting the barrel to the action at the same time which again is the way I'd go.

Contour wise I'd go with copying the contour of the Remington 700 SF II. I bought one several years ago in .264wm on a whim and it's really a great balance between a whippy thin barrel and something like a varmint or sendero contour.

Caliber wise there's nothing at all wrong with staying with your 06 but if you went to the .284win or .280 Rem you'd have a much flatter shooting round with minimal recoil.

The 25-06 would definitely be worthy of consideration as well for even flatter shooting and still minimal recoil.

There's such a great selection of bullets available today for .257, .264/6.5, 7mm, and .308 you really can't go wrong with any of them.

If you don't mind going with a wildcat the 6.5-06 6.5x284 would be fantastic for your application. Personally I used to be skeptical of the 6.5 as anything other than a varmint and deer caliber but the last 20 years I have learned that with the right bullets it's more than capable of handling anything in N. America except Brown/Grizzly bears and is still used the world over including Africa for everything but the big 5 dangerous game animals.

Are you saying you like them even untrued or are you saying you have some you might be willing to sell? If so, PM me details...thanks

In your shoes, I'd order a McGowan Remage barrel, and either their nut or the better looking Southern Precision BugNut. Then I'd get an action wrench, a barrel wrench, and a small propane torch. Pull the barrel, headspace with a gauge, and lock down the nut. Now you have a rebarreled gun without the gunsmith price.

I'd skip the truing for a rifle never shooting past 300-400 yards.

Nothing wrong with the 30-06. For the purposes you describe, I'd likely just stick with it.

In your shoes, I'd order a McGowan Remage barrel, and either their nut or the better looking Southern Precision BugNut. Then I'd get an action wrench, a barrel wrench, and a small propane torch. Pull the barrel, headspace with a gauge, and lock down the nut. Now you have a rebarreled gun without the gunsmith price.

I'd skip the truing for a rifle never shooting past 300-400 yards.

Nothing wrong with the 30-06. For the purposes you describe, I'd likely just stick with it.

I already have action tools for my savage setup but I thought you had to cut the Remington 700 action in order to do that which makes me nervous

My Mcgowen barrel in 7SAUM is shooting consistently in the .1s and 2s. Not once, but just about every time. Probably one of the most accurate barrels I have had especially for one slinging 175s at 3k+.

I already have action tools for my savage setup but I thought you had to cut the Remington 700 action in order to do that which makes me nervous

Cut the R700? If you order a Remage barrel, it has Remington threads. It will go right in. If you true the action and they change the threads in the process, you are committed to a custom gunsmith rebarreling job.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.