Starting a semi-custom on a remington action....thoughts

For that distance i would go with a criterion barrel and barrel nut. No truing necessary, stick with your 06'. Drop this in a decent stock or glass/pillar bed you current setup and start load development. I guarantee it will do better than 1MOA.

All,
I currently have a Remington 700 stainless in a sporter B and C stock with timney trigger. The barrel is a pencil thin barrel and does ok for groups. It averages 1.25inches at 100 yards. This rifle was never meant to be a long range rifle and I still don't want it to be but im bored, have some extra cash so I figured I might just rebarrel it. It is currently a 3006. I want to keep the rifle light since it is a back packing hunting rifle and will never see shots past 300-400 yards (95% shots will be under 200 yards). I don't need any ultra expensive barrel but don't want cheap less accurate. I would like a barrel that can do consistent 3 shot groups at 1MOA or under and is light so do not want a varmint contour or anything near that thick. This will be a deer rifle but if a black bear stepped out id shoot it. I like 3006 but do not need to stay with it. Even though I am a hand loader I do not want any wild cat chamberings. I do like bigger holes and the smallest id go would be in the 284/7mm chamberings. I am open to any and all thoughts on where to send my rifle for rebarreling. Should I get it blue printed as well? What kind of costs can I be looking at? and should I stick with 3006 or change to something else? Thanks!
26" Bartlein #4 Fluted 1:8 twist, chambered for Nosler/SAAMI .280 Ackley, and recessed target crowned. Blueprint the action, Timney trigger, have the barrel channel opened for free-floating the new larger barrel. Skim-bed your B&C stock with DevCon. You should be good to go.

Nosler sells brass, and factory loaded ammo for their version of the .280 Ackley. Redding sells dies.

Kevin Cram up at Montour County Rifles has a good reputation.

Bartlein barrels will rebarrel and blueprint your action for you as well.

From what I read you need to make a notch in the action for the recoil lug to fit. The lugs have a dimple which locks it in place

You can get a guide to help properly orient the lug with no cuts. Sorry I don't have a link at hand. It's not pricey.

I haven't built one, but I've done all the research. I'm going with a Stiller Predator that already has the lug staked so I didn't spend too much time on this part.

Bartlein #3 fluted 1:9" twist @ 26" w. APA Micro Bastard brake
.280 AI (brass and factory loads available)
168 Berger HVLD

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.