remington 700 sps vs tikka t3.

Robster80

ive owned a tikka t3 hunter 308 (walnut/blued) rifle for a couple yrs now. good shooter,nice trigger, but i always reach for my rem700 .270 when i go hunt. i guess it just fits me better. none of my rifles are stainless and im considering selling my tikka and getting a remington sps 700 stainless in 308 to replace the tikka. the 270 remington i own is a great shooter and is a little older. got it in the 90's. are the newer SPS still good shooters and good quality? or am i crazy for considering letting go of the tikka?

ive owned a tikka t3 hunter 308 (walnut/blued) rifle for a couple yrs now. good shooter,nice trigger, but i always reach for my rem700 .270 when i go hunt. i guess it just fits me better. none of my rifles are stainless and im considering selling my tikka and getting a remington sps 700 stainless in 308 to replace the tikka. the 270 remington i own is a great shooter and is a little older. got it in the 90's. are the newer SPS still good shooters and good quality? or am i crazy for considering letting go of the tikka?

lightbulbQuality controls/assurance is NOT what it used to.lightbulb

Make sure your lgs has a generous return policy (or you are on a first name basis with a good 'smith) if you buy a new remmy... I've seen great ones (both of the m700 lr 300 rum rifles my brother and I have gotten this year are great) and I've seen crap... a good example of crap is the first lss lh 7rum I had. The chamber was so large it broke three fl sizing dies with brass fired from the rifle. My current lss lh 7rum is a good rifle, though.

If your Tikka shoots I'd consider a stock that fits you better...

That's not really a fair assessment to lump every single rifle they make every year into that category. Remington still produces MANY accurate 700 rifles each year. You only really hear about the bad ones because in-general, people love to b***h about things and repeat hearsay & gossip. Be-it for their own agenda, or that it fits in with their own personal bias.

I got mad and talked about how my $2,000 Weatherby Accumark had a bad barrel from the factory, but it was more-or-less venting my frustrations than anything. Nothing changed...I still had a garbage rifle sitting in my safe. Nobody from Weatherby ever went out of their way to send me any emails to offer to replace it with another one... And even a few Weatherby supporters basically called me a liar (when I had proof by a very qualified and reputable gunsmith that it WAS a manufacturing defect). So I was pretty **** ****ed off about the whole thing, and it was completely futile, other than allowing me to vent my anger.

Time heals all wounds... I'm no longer angry about it, now that the rifle is gone down the road, but I am still a bit tweaked, and don't plan on buying another Weatherby anytime soon, so I can understand people who got burn by a company holding on to a grudge. But just because you got a lemon, doesn't mean that all their rifles are lemons. And EVERY manufacturer of anything man-made, is going to have lemons from time-to-time.

The truth is, Remington's QC has not necessarily gone downhill...It has (unfortunately) stayed the same, whereas other companies have progressed with technology. I do hate that about Remington. But I have found more consistancy in quality and accuracy with their higher-end models, such as the Sendero, 5R Milspec, etc...

lightbulbQuality controls/assurance is NOT what it used to.lightbulb

Judge for yourself ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA?t=80[/ame]

GunBroker.com Message Forums - Range Report,,The NEW 700 XCR !!!!!!

Remington did took advantage of technological advancements in their 783 (http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2013/1/2/the-remington-783/); unfortunately someone else pioneered it first. Nonetheless, it's a move to the right direction, esp. for the budget minded end-users.

[ame]https://youtu.be/ONPGoRs9WC0?t=103[/ame]

BTW, I too own Remingtons.

a few years back I once followed a complete rebuild of a Mod. 721 by one of the most respected gunsmiths in America. This guy is probably as good with a Remington action as anybody ever. I well remember being astonished that the barrel threads were .012"(TIR) off center to the rest of the action. Just shrugged it off as a one time deal. Still he wasn't building somekind of a snipers rifle, but simply restoring a hunting rifle for his own personal use. Yet one wonders how it even shot?

We've all hear or read stories of this rifle or that rifle that literally were turds out of the box (pick a brand; they've all built one). I've had a couple myself, so I'm not immune to it. The only real question I have is how did it get out the door? If by some slim chance it did, how easy will you make it on the customer? Make it real easy, and we may never hear about it. Be stubborn, and he'll tell everybody on the planet.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.