Remington 700 SPS Tactical 16.5" vs 20"

Overkill338

I'm still toying with the idea of getting one of these rifles in .308. I read a test where the first 3 groups they shot was under 1/2" with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. The one I setup for a coworker shot the same way. Velocity wise, the 16.5" should be no different than a AR10 carbine correct? I know that 20" barrel is plenty rigid and it doesnt effect the accuracy if the stock is pushed against the barrel. Is there really any reason to go down to 16.5" ? It's not going to be any more accurate is it?

I was thinking if you bedded it in a Boyd's stock, it might shoot even better. Seems like a great idea for a cheap blinker, could use surplus ammo, toss in back and go shoot somewhere without worrying about messing up a nice rifle. Then later, I'd have an action to start a custom build.

I'm betting, with some Bergers, or the ELD-M, it might could be made to shoot 1 hole at 100. Am I right?

My current .260 AI started life as a 700 SPS Tactical .308 with a 20" Remington varmint contour barrel and Hogue overmould pillared stock. All I did was open up the barrel channel at the end to float it, eventually I skim bedded it. Finding an acceptable load was never hard with that rifle, "bad" loads were 1"-1.5" groups, with the good ones being half that, .5"-.75" @100, 5 shots. 168 A-MAX's around 2750 fps using Varget at a load just under listed max, seated to mag box length, 2.830". I didn't even measure my jump to the lands back in those days ha ha.

It shot 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips just as good, I took a few deer, elk, and even a bull moose with those. I will say it was slightly frustrating when I found the most accurate load I ever shot in the gun, happened to be 180 grain Hornady round nose soft point's, my dad had about 3,000 of them he got on a trade. It would put 5 rounds into a cloverleaf, going about 2450 fps. I loaded up 20 more of them just to shoot groups, and it did it over and over. Everything else shot good enough, but those were seriously averaging .3"-.4" groups, with the b.c. of a freaking mason jar, on a rifle I specifically got so I could get into long range shooting. I got it rebarreled after around 1500 rounds. The barrel was still fine, but I wanted better accuracy and higher bc/long range potential.

I personally wouldn't go for the 16.5" one unless you plan on running it supressed, then it would be a pretty sweet compact rig. The 20" model was plenty handy, a nice truck rig. Now that it has a 29" barrel plus brake, not so much....ha ha.

As far as comparing to an ar-10 carbine, it will be very close, possibly with an even higher velocity ceiling due to not having to use any pressure to run the action, though the barrel itself may void or increase any difference there may be.

My current .260 AI started life as a 700 SPS Tactical .308 with a 20" Remington varmint contour barrel and Hogue overmould pillared stock. All I did was open up the barrel channel at the end to float it, eventually I skim bedded it. Finding an acceptable load was never hard with that rifle, "bad" loads were 1"-1.5" groups, with the good ones being half that, .5"-.75" @100, 5 shots. 168 A-MAX's around 2750 fps using Varget at a load just under listed max, seated to mag box length, 2.830". I didn't even measure my jump to the lands back in those days ha ha.

It shot 168 Nosler Ballistic Tips just as good, I took a few deer, elk, and even a bull moose with those. I will say it was slightly frustrating when I found the most accurate load I ever shot in the gun, happened to be 180 grain Hornady round nose soft point's, my dad had about 3,000 of them he got on a trade. It would put 5 rounds into a cloverleaf, going about 2450 fps. I loaded up 20 more of them just to shoot groups, and it did it over and over. Everything else shot good enough, but those were seriously averaging .3"-.4" groups, with the b.c. of a freaking mason jar, on a rifle I specifically got so I could get into long range shooting. I got it rebarreled after around 1500 rounds. The barrel was still fine, but I wanted better accuracy and higher bc/long range potential.

I personally wouldn't go for the 16.5" one unless you plan on running it supressed, then it would be a pretty sweet compact rig. The 20" model was plenty handy, a nice truck rig. Now that it has a 29" barrel plus brake, not so much....ha ha.

As far as comparing to an ar-10 carbine, it will be very close, possibly with an even higher velocity ceiling due to not having to use any pressure to run the action, though the barrel itself may void or increase any difference there may be.
I wish they would make them in 7mm-08, and a .300 Win Mag version.

Maybe I should find someone who rebarreled theirs and ream their factory barrel out to .300 wsm lol

20180822_113348.jpg
I sent a PM about a rifle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.