Remington 700 sps tactical stock recommendations

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm looking to change out the stock on my remington 700 sps tactical for a little lighter one I have a bell and carlson m40 style stock on it now but would like a better fit to me stock for it for one the m40 has to long of LOP and the four end is to square to me and it does have some weight to it at almost 4.5 lbs with bedding. And I'm trying to lighten this rifle up some so my 7 year old son can use it better when he hunts with me.i will be upgrading the glass to lighter scope so that will save some weight on it being heavy but that's a different subject.i would like a stock like a mcmillan game scout but the barrel on my rifle by what I've messured is to big for that stock so I've been lookingat other stocks I like the HS precision sendero or 5r style stocks and the bell and Carlson long range hunter I believe it's called with the vertical grip but not sure about these and if it will help me loose some of the rifles over all weight.right now the rifle weights almost 15 lbs with bipod and is just find hunting with out of box stand but any other hunting I'd rather not use it and for some reason I have a self spot for that rifle lol.anyways any input would be appreciated and if some one has a stock laying around that would fit my needs I'd be open to looking at it thanks

I put a ha precision on mine when the rubber molded howa started to warp. I have not weighed but I am afraid that it is a bit heavier. I like it for my use and the stock is solid

Not sure what stock to go lighter than the Carlson

Thanks

Buck

I've looked at few different ones and they all weigh around 2 to 2.5 lbs mine before bedding it weigh right at 3.5 I thank the weight wouldn't bother me as much if the stock fit me better.right now it has 14inch LOP and four end is real wide and square I've found I like a LOP at 13.5 or so and I don't like the wide flat square four end.

I've looked at few different ones and they all weigh around 2 to 2.5 lbs mine before bedding it weigh right at 3.5 I thank the weight wouldn't bother me as much if the stock fit me better.right now it has 14inch LOP and four end is real wide and square I've found I like a LOP at 13.5 or so and I don't like the wide flat square four end.

I know what you mean I am right there. 13.5 with a nice contour forearm I can hold but stiff enough for the bipod

Thanks

Buck

I used to have a B&C M40 style on my 700 SPS Tactical I'd been using for western hunting, and also decided I wanted something lighter. Decided to put the B&C on a varmint rifle, and put the SPS in a McMillan Hunters Edge and am very happy with the switch. I think my McMillan weighed just under 24 ounces, and it has a 13.5" LOP. Much improved ergonomics too, handles a bipod just fine but I feel more comfortable getting into an offhand position with it if I needed to make a quick shot on something up close.