Remington 700 SA

Clubhunter

I have a 700 Short Action rifle in a 308 that I was looking to get rebarreled in a flatter shooting caliber. I have always wanted a 6.5-284 but I don't think that will eject a live round without taking the bolt out. Was also thinking about a 260 but didn't know if anyone had thoughts on that.
The main purpose of this rifle would be for hunting for deer and medium size body game animals out to 1000 yds. Any input would be appreciated.

Bolt comes out real easy, not a big deal. 260, 6.5 Creedmore, or 6.5-284 cant go wrong with either. If I had to pick I would go with the Creedmore.

I love my 7mm-08, but keep thinking about the AI version if I get around to replacing that factory Remington tube.

If it shoots good just rechamber it. Never really looked into a 708AI, but now that lapua makes brass makes it more appealing. It should be a sweet round. Personally not overly impressed w/ the straight 708.

In NM the wind kicks like van dam, so the heavies dominate.

Yes, you just have to get an extended magwell. Here is what I found:

Long actions work very well but are overrated for 6.5x284 usage. A short action with an extended magazine is also adequate. Seating bullets way out there is not needed. You can have a new barrel throated to have a given bullet engage the lands at any OACL. All of the most popular, proven and accurate powders won't fill the case up safely even at shorter COALs. 47-49 of 4350 or 50-53 of 4831 is all the 6.5x284 can handle safely with 140 grain pills. Any of those charges will allow 2.990" lengths which is adequate for a short action with an extended box. Another usefull load is 59 of Retumbo under the 140s and also works with 2.990 but is very compressed. If you need top velocities you will do better with RL17 than with Retumbo. 4831SC and 4350 are the most popular go to powders for this caliber for a good reason. Peak accuracy, low extreme velocity spreads.

I'll be the odd-man-out on my suggestions...

.260 AI or 7mm-08 AI.

Mud, I thought for sure you would have said a .257 Roberts or 250 savage...

I think I would go with the 6.5mm variety. But then how come you don't like the .308? Its not my favorite but its a good round.

I built a 260 ACK on my 700SA.. I love it..Easy to reload for,brass lasts forever without trimming..Great cartridge..

I had the extended box and there were some feeding issues..I then put a Legacy mag kit on it and have had zero issues since..Feeds good and can get my VLD's out to where they need to be..

I didn't know how I would like the removable magazine,but it has grown on me and now I like it better..

The second from the bottom.

That's a sweet looking rifle. A lot of great info here. I will research all the suggestions. I would want something that would be easy to reload plus have good kill power range.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.